Cat had a bit of diarrhea - antibiotics or wet food? when to be concerned?

katandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi again everyone!
so my cat just got neutered as well as had some teeth extracted on Friday (he's around 6 years old). the vets have us on a wet food only diet for a week which is probably because of the teeth extractions I'm assuming. on top of that, he's prescribed the antibiotic clavamox for a week and the painkiller buprenorphine for three days.
today he just had a bit of diarrhea, nothing too bad just some loose stool. i'm wondering if this is maybe because of the wet food since he's more used to dry food or the antibiotic. is this a cause of concern right now? besides this, he seems to be doing pretty good, he has a big appetite and is drinking water too.
thanks again!!

-Cory-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say it could be a combo of the change in food, the antibiotic, and the stress. I'd let your vet know just so they're aware, but it's not surprising with what he's got going on. You could talk to the vet about a probiotic or incorporating some pumpkin to try and help it resolve more quickly.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely from the antibiotics, it's not uncommon for them to cause diarrhea. Wet food is actually better for Cats than dry food so you may want to consider keeping him on a wet food diet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the Clavamox. One of the most common side effects is diarrhea. The other is vomiting. My vet won't prescribe it because it's so difficult for kitties. Call the vet and ask for a different antibiotic. Also, give your kitty probiotics in wet food to help the tummy. You can give saccharomyces boullardi or even a little bit of Culturelle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's the Clavamox. One of the most common side effects is diarrhea. The other is vomiting. My vet won't prescribe it because it's so difficult for kitties. Call the vet and ask for a different antibiotic. Also, give your kitty probiotics in wet food to help the tummy. You can give saccharomyces boullardi or even a little bit of Culturelle.
I figured it was after googling about it. I actually just dropped over 1k at the vet for everything he got done so I was hoping to not need new meds because I really don’t have the funds for it. Is it immediately a cause of concern or should I continue monitoring his stool and if it keeps being diarrhea I’ll definitely reach out?

katandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd say it could be a combo of the change in food, the antibiotic, and the stress. I'd let your vet know just so they're aware, but it's not surprising with what he's got going on. You could talk to the vet about a probiotic or incorporating some pumpkin to try and help it resolve more quickly.
I read pumpkin and plain greek yogurt might help, I definitely have yogurt but I’m not sure where to get pumpkin

katandkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most likely from the antibiotics, it's not uncommon for them to cause diarrhea. Wet food is actually better for Cats than dry food so you may want to consider keeping him on a wet food diet.
I’ve heard mixed arguments, I’ve always given him a combination of both but he just happened to prefer dry food most of the time. he was actually not a cat with a big appetite but just recently he’s been much hungrier so he scarfed down his wet food with no complaints after his surgeries.