Cat hacking/coughing

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 7 year old cat, Philly, who's been having some hacking/coughing issues for the past few months. The symptoms seem to come and go, sometimes he will only have what seems like an episode a couple times a week, other times it will be almost once a day for several days in a row. It's really hard to describe what he's doing but it really looks like hes trying to throw something up but can't get it out, but from the videos i've watched it could very well be a reverse sneeze as well. He has threw up a couple times in the past few months and one of those was just a hairball. I did see another hairball a couple days ago but i'm not sure if that was him or another cat I have that also throws up hairballs once in a while. He seems to be okay otherwise, hes eating/drinking, he hasn't lost weight in the past 5 months since the symptoms started and he doesn't seem lethargic. The only other concern I have is that I saw him have loose stool a few days ago with some gas.

I sent a video to the vet and they thought it could be reverse sneezing or a feline herpes flare up since my other cats have had flare ups recently. Philly seems to be the only one of the four that hasn't had any herpes symptoms. I'm skeptical though that it has to do with that since it's been going on for so long now, probably around 4-5 months.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar with their cats? When I google it, asthma keeps coming up too so I'm wondering if it might be that. I'm also wondering if it could be some type of digestive issue as well since hes been having/has loose stool. Is there anything that I can give him until I get him into the vet? I've been giving him catlax and just started giving him Proviable.

Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! An occasional reverse sneeze is likely nothing to worry about, but continual episodes of it, especially over 4-5 months, probably means it is a bit more concerning regarding its origin. And, as you seem to already know, it could be from different causes - allergens, environmental ones included, to asthma. But I have even heard it being provoked by drinking or eating too fast.

IMO, there doesn't really seem to be a correlation between the hacking/coughing and the loose stool, since the former has been going on for a while and the latter is a much more recent event. The loose stool might even be related to a recent food change, or a newly developed food allergy - assuming it becomes an ongoing issue.

Are you giving your cats any kind of supplements for herpes to help reduce flare ups or lessen their impact? I keep hearing about DMG, so it might be something to consider. According to this article (see below) it can even be beneficial for digestive issues.
DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium (exoticpetvet.net)

The brand I have seen most suggested is this one -
Vetri DMG™ - VetriScience Laboratories

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they checked for bacterial , fungal and parsite infections ?
My cat had coughing and wheezing.
Ive sorted out her rattling noise with the guidance of my Homeopathic vet. (Vet firstly trained as a conventunal vet.)
I cant suggest anything as you need the guidance of a trained and skilled homeopathic vet.
Mark Elliot, not our vet has written a cat book about remedies.

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Best check, get tests first for possible bacterial, fungal and parasite infections.

Interesting book but I still like guidance from my Homeopathic Vet. We also have a conventunal vet for testing etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've read through your post a couple times. I'm wondering if you would consider seeing a different vet, in a completely different clinic so as to have a fresh set of eyes on his situation, with no previous knowledge or presumption?

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community
My oldest cat sees a cat specific vet for his IBD but shes pretty far away so I dont usually take my other cats there. Would that be a better option or would it be better to go to a vet that has never seen any of my cats?

Hi! An occasional reverse sneeze is likely nothing to worry about, but continual episodes of it, especially over 4-5 months, probably means it is a bit more concerning regarding its origin. And, as you seem to already know, it could be from different causes - allergens, environmental ones included, to asthma. But I have even heard it being provoked by drinking or eating too fast.

IMO, there doesn't really seem to be a correlation between the hacking/coughing and the loose stool, since the former has been going on for a while and the latter is a much more recent event. The loose stool might even be related to a recent food change, or a newly developed food allergy - assuming it becomes an ongoing issue.

Are you giving your cats any kind of supplements for herpes to help reduce flare ups or lessen their impact? I keep hearing about DMG, so it might be something to consider. According to this article (see below) it can even be beneficial for digestive issues.
DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium (exoticpetvet.net)

The brand I have seen most suggested is this one -
Vetri DMG™ - VetriScience Laboratories
Philly did actually have loose stool last year for a little bit but as far as i know not anytime recently so youre probably right about those being separate issues. Ive had him for 5 years now and hes had no health issues. All of my other cats have had herpes flare ups but Philly never did. Until now maybe. I have given them lysine in the past but that has had mixed results. I will definitely look into getting some DMG.

Today his coughing came right after he ate so it could be possible that he ate too fast. I have noticed that he shakes his head a lot too recently.

Have they checked for bacterial , fungal and parsite infections ?
My cat had coughing and wheezing.
Ive sorted out her rattling noise with the guidance of my Homeopathic vet. (Vet firstly trained as a conventunal vet.)
I cant suggest anything as you need the guidance of a trained and skilled homeopathic vet.
Mark Elliot, not our vet has written a cat book about remedies.
He hasnt been tested for those yet. I haven't actually taken him to the vet, i just sent them a video. It's happening more frequently now so I did call his vet to set up an appt.

I was trying to avoid going to the vet to be honest, because my dog is having some health issues as well and I have spent $4000 recently on him trying to figure out what is wrong. But since Philly isn't improving I feel like it's time to have him seen.

I will check out that book and see if there is a homeopathic vet in my area. Thanks!

creamragdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat sees a cat specific vet for his IBD but shes pretty far away so I dont usually take my other cats there. Would that be a better option or would it be better to go to a vet that has never seen any of my cats?

Philly did actually have loose stool last year for a little bit but as far as i know not anytime recently so youre probably right about those being separate issues. Ive had him for 5 years now and hes had no health issues. All of my other cats have had herpes flare ups but Philly never did. Until now maybe. I have given them lysine in the past but that has had mixed results. I will definitely look into getting some DMG.

Today his coughing came right after he ate so it could be possible that he ate too fast. I have noticed that he shakes his head a lot too recently.

He hasnt been tested for those yet. I haven't actually taken him to the vet, i just sent them a video. It's happening more frequently now so I did call his vet to set up an appt.

I was trying to avoid going to the vet to be honest, because my dog is having some health issues as well and I have spent $4000 recently on him trying to figure out what is wrong. But since Philly isn't improving I feel like it's time to have him seen.

I will check out that book and see if there is a homeopathic vet in my area. Thanks!
Thats a huge amount of money you have spent. I empathise with you, pets are not cheap, more so when one is not covered by insurance.
Keep up the good work :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise