Cat growls when picked up, scratches/bites hands unprovoked

kisscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm babysitting a family member's cat for the next two weeks. She's met my cat Dali several times and the two are familiar with one another, but I plan to keep them separated for the most part. 

The relative's cat, Rosa, is about 1 year old. She was adopted at a couple weeks/months old, from a litter that a neighbor found. When she was a kitten, she'd mainly play with my relative's hands, so she sees hands as playthings. If someone is sitting with their hands in their lap, not even acknowledging her, she'll scratch, and bite their hands. If anyone tries to pet her, she crouch out of the way or just scratch at them. 

She does not like being held or touched in any way, and she once struck at my face when I picked her up. If she's picked up, she'll shake, chatter, and growl. I think she's not used to being picked up or pet so she's scared. 

I know not every cat is gonna love cuddling or pets, but is there anything I can do in the time I have to try to help with her behavior??

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think that you'll make much progress in only 2 weeks. Plus once Rosa will forget anything she's learned once her family comes back and carries on the way they always have. 

If THEY care to change the problem, I'd start out by offering treats from my hands. Sounds like in general she's afraid of hands. 

Forgot to add that some cats just don't like being picked up. I've been working with Ms Jilly for years now and she still doesn't like it. 

Last edited: