Cat Grass

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in the midst of our first cat grass experience here, and it isn't going so well. I got it to grow, and Nathan likes it--the problem is he can't get it out of the potting soil.
It's only about an inch and a half to two inches tall, and it's planted in a little plastic container (I bought one of those kits at my pet supply store). Well, when Nathan starts biting and pulling on the grass, he actually ends up lifting up the whole container (and making a huge mess in the process). A few minutes ago I was holding it down for him thinking he'd be able to pull the grass out then, but then the whole thing of dirt just lifted right out of the container.
Am I a dope? Is there something I'm missing here? Should I just let it grow longer and hope Nathan will be able to bite off the ends? I tried pulling a little bit out and giving it to him, but he's not interested in it that way. He thinks he's a cow--he wants to graze.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does your local pet store have heavy pots that the plastic trays fit into? I've got a flat "white cat" pot made especially for the trays. If not, you'll probably have to let the grass grow longer before giving it to him, or switch to seeds and potting soil in a heavy pot.

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check the store for a pot to put the container into. There's no taking it away from him now to let it grow longer--I have yet to find a spot in the apartment he can't get to, and he is really intent on eating it now that he knows it's here.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Do you find that the grass yellows and dies quickly? I'm having to buy a new pot of it every month. I figured that I overwatered the first two... but I'm watering the third only when the soil is dry and it yellowed after a day. This would be in full sun. It's really odd, since I'm good with plants and a range of them are growing well in the same window. I even bought a different type of cat grass from a different store... same results.
What I've found through experience is that wheat grass can last almost up to a month if you keep it in the refrigerator for several hours each day. The grass does NOT need to be kept in the full sun, but the dirt does need to be kept moist. I don't know why refrigerating it works so well, but it does. This particular kind of grass seems to prefer less light, and thrives in the cold darkness of the fridge.

Currently, I keep the little square pot of grass on the floor near Ginger's food dish. It usually winds up lying on its side, and she munches to her hearts content. I just rotate the container so she doesn't eat it all just from one side.

I've had pretty good luck with the cat grass that I buy that is already grown - it seems to last longer than the pots of it that I grow myself. I buy two, and one is in the fridge while the other is out.

I also keep it trimmed so that it continues to grow - I "mow" the pots of grass by trimming the tops down an inch or so. This seems to also help it to last longer before going yellow.

Also, it isn't like a lawn - you can't expect that it will continue to last indefinitely. The grass is quite root heavy, and quickly uses up the nutrients in the soil within the small pot. Buying or growing one fresh pot of grass a month is completely normal. The best you can do is take care of it to keep it alive and viable as long as possible. Then buy or grow another, and understand that grass is also a living thing that has a cycle.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's interesting about the fridge. My current pot is a mix of oats, wheat and barley, but I might try it.

Mowing isn't an issue... that cat takes care of that.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Mowing isn't an issue... that cat takes care of that.
LOL, I have to - Ginger eats an entire strand at a time, rather than nibble off the top.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just found this on a site that sells wheatgrass growing kits for human consumption:

Whether you buy or grow your own flat of wheatgrass, if you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use the grass fast enough it begins to turn yellow and wilt (because it has used all the minerals from the soil.) Right as it begins to tinge yellow, cut all the rest of the grass off of the flat and put it in a plastic bag in your refrigerator. The grass will last for about one week after it is cut.

If it is too cold outside (50 degrees and below) where you are growing your grass, the wheatgrass will grow very slowly. If you let it get below 32 degrees, it will freeze. Anything above about 75-80 degrees and your wheatgrass will not thrive. Under the hot conditions you will experience more mold, and the roots will go sour and sometimes cause the grass to wilt. The ideal conditions for wheatgrass and barleygrass are 1) indirect sunlight, and 2) moderate weather (70 degrees)

Therefore, I guess it lasts longer in the fridge because it grows more slowly at that temperature. Makes sense to me now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

LOL, I have to - Ginger eats an entire strand at a time, rather than nibble off the top.
Leona likes the strand at a time too! If cut some to bring I have to hold it up for her to eat. One flat on the floor just will not do!