Cat Grass

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just purchased some cat grass in two little planter tubs for my two cats, and to say they like it would be something of an gross understatement. One of my girls will forego dinner if there's cat grass near by and eat that instead. I'm not sure two plants will even last me a few days until it's cool enough for me to plant them outside. I'm happy that my girls like the cat grass, but it's not cat nip. so why are they behaving like this?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really don't know!  Mine are certainly keen on it and have a good chomp, but I wouldn't say they make a meal of it.  They will certainly use it to throw up hair balls.  Do your two vomit it up?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat grass is such a mystery! I haven't read an explanation about it that really makes sense to me. As obligate carnivores, they definitely don't need to eat it. My cat looked at me like I was nuts when I placed a tub in front of her, but I had a foster who would pull it out of the container dirt and all and take it to where he could lie down and snack on it if I didn't watch him. It was just oat grass, and he was just a kitten and didn't ever throw up. My best guess is that's just really fun to eat? Something about the texture or flavor must be really appealing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just like the taste of grass. My Aby is obsessed with grass. If he had his way, he would eat an entire pot without stopping, even after he's thrown up
I hand feed a few pieces but even that sometimes makes him throw up
My other cat has no interest in grass.