Cat Got Spayed And Is Super Quiet Now

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive had cats and grown p with them, but somehow never gone through the spay thing, they were always already fixed...

So, she was spayed two days ago (weds). Shes eating, drinking and using the litterbox fine... but shes so quiet :( all she does is sleep or just sit quietly somewhere. Is this normal? Normally shes meowing, climbing stuff, trying to steal my food, meowing some more and playing with toys. And when i come home shed run up to me meowing. Now she just sits there on the bed.

When will she be back to normal? Should i be concerned? Call the vet? Her incision looks fine btw.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It usually take 2 or 3 days for the anesthesia to wear off. She should be back to her normal self after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that long? Tomorrow will be three days so hopefully she’ll feel better. I think part of it is the cone, she hates it. I try to take it off an hour a day when i can supervise so she can groom, but then she tries to lick her incision so i have to put it back.

I just hate seeing her like this, it makes me worry that she doesnt feel good :/

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was mostly just hoping to hear what other peoples cats acted like after a spay. Obviously if i think somethings actually wrong i’ll call the vet.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat reacts a little different to the experience. I suspect part of the reason for her being quiet is the cone. Some cats don’t like moving around with them on.

Last edited:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems normal if she's eating and drinking and the incision looks fine. Probably doesn't like the cone and is still healing from tje surgery. Luna was really hyper after the surgery but I hear that can also be a reaction to anesthesia

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty sat like a lump until the cone came off. She despised it. Also, remember that although the procedure is rountine, it certainly isn't routine from your cat's point of view. She's going to be a little tender for a few days. Not in agony, but tender.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953 and MeganLLB. I went out for a few hours and just came back, and she finally came o the door and greeted me again :) and even ran around a little bit & played with her toy snake, so hopefully she’s turned a corner and is feeling better :)

Akachang_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is totally normal...i did not put the cone on my male cat not even once after his surgery, but he was veryyy quiet and would sleep on my lap all day long for 4 days. I was worried because he is normally a playful and a very vocal cat. After 4 days he is back to his normal playful self, the only thing that has changed is he's not loud anymore and my family is pleased because they could finally sleep at night!

Give him a few days more and I am sure he will be fine :)
Just make sure the incision does not swell or smell.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks :) Shes getting better, much more active now.. Id say shes at 75 percent. The cone comes off in two days and i cant wait to take it off her.

Shes still really quiet though, i mean ive heard a few trills but its like 90 percent less than she used to. I miss those trills! Even the vet noticed them, he was like “she makes the cutest vocalizations, she doesnt meow, she just trills at you all the time”. I miss that.