Cat got outside and now has diarrhea

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So yesterday morning my brother didn’t close the front door properly and my cat Naom escaped. He was outside for a couple hours, as my brother goes to work at about 4:00 in the morning and my mom woke up at 8:00 and found the door open. Thankfully we were able to find him and bring him back inside.

Naom is obsessed with grass, or anything green. I know he ate a bunch of grass. He might have eaten something else as well. Yesterday nigh he pooped out a lot of grass in his stool. This morning he was having diarrhea with mucus. I gave him a broth with half of a capsule of ss boulardii(a probiotic he’s been on because of a past diarrhea problem), and it seemed to help a little bit. He pooped again 3 hours later and it was a little better but still gloopy and with a lot of mucus. He doesn’t seem to be in pain(he is very vocal when he is in pain) and he eats and drinks well. Right now he is peacefully sleeping.
Should I be worried? Or should I just continue giving him the probiotic and hope it clears up? I can’t afford going to the vet right now because so just took all three of my cats in to get dewormed because of tapeworms. I am unemployed and don’t have the funds to take him in right now. Also how much ss bouliardii can I give him in a day? I hope it clears up by itself, but still want some advice with this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no upper safety limit on the s. boulardi. Or rather, he'll stop eating it before you find it. That said, I've given as much as a capsule per day (half times twice a day or 1/4 times 4.)

If he seems otherwise alright, I'd give it another day or two. If his stools don't firm up by then, he may have contracted a stomach bug. But that's usually obvious when they have a stomach bug.

Your biggest risk besides a stomach bug is dehydration. You might want to add a little water to his wet food, if he'll take it, until his stools firm up again. Don't add water to dry food. That just makes bacteria soup.