Cat Going Outside Litter Box/pee Pads

Oliver813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son has 3 cats. He recently had a huge life change- his wife left him and the cats must be able to pick up on his stress. After she was gone for about 4 weeks he became very depressed. One of the cats started pooping on the floor. The other started with the runs and would go in the box but finish on the floor. We went to visit him and they didn't seem to do it too much but I did notice one had the runs. Took the one we thought had the runs to the vet and they checked his anal glands. Said all was good. Took the cat home, left and came back .. One of them pooped runs right by the water dish. We thought if we put puppy training pads down it may help protect the carpet.... Well now they think they can pee on them. I don't know what to tell him to do anymore. He is stressing even more now. Hates the cats which used to be one of the most important things in his life.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your sons predicament.

This is a rough situation. I hate to ask, but is he maintaining the litter boxes?

If he is, then his cats are most definitely picking up on the sudden changes in house, and his stress.

His emotional well being is obviously priority, but his cats emotional well being is important as well.

It might help all parties (your son and his cats) of he makes an effort to spend quality time with the cats. Everyone is clearly distressed, and the cats just need some normalcy. Even if he just sits with them calmly for awhile, just petting or brushing them, that calm may feed back and forth, one enforcing the other.

I really wish you and your son the best of luck in these hard times. I hope my reply was of some help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry your son, and his cats, are going through this stressful time. I'm sure it's also a huge worry for you. :alright:

Cats can definitely pick up on their human's moods and stress. Plus they are probably missing their female human. I'm not sure if the usual litter box avoidance articles will be of any help or not, but I'll post them just in case, as well as some on cats and stress.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Do Cats Mourn?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. So sorry your son is going through this. It's probably the cats' diet. Can you ask him exactly what type and brand he is feeding and how much? Is it canned food or dry? Also worms/parasites can cause poop problems. Have they been de-flead and de-wormed recently?