Cat Goes Opposite Room If There's More Than Me?

Coreylewisaspin123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!.

I adopted my first cat 4 weeks ago, she's 2 years old and seems to have settled in nicely!.

The problem I'm still having is that she only bothers to come onto the bed or on my knee or anything if there's just one of us in the bed. Whenever I'm away she lays with my partner or whenever she's away she lays with me. When both of us are in bed she plays all night upstairs and won't come near us. She never really spends times with both of us and it's just usually one on one.

Any advice to encourage her to spend time with both of us?.

Thanks in advance

Corey.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe when one of you and the cat is there, have the second person approach slowly with treats, then let her leave, then gradually work to keep her there longer, treats, toys/playtime. This sounds to me like she maybe was encouraged to leave in her other home or somehow got used to one person at a time, so you'll just need to take time and be patient and encourage her that being with both of you is ok and a good, fun thing :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We adopted Juniper about two months ago, and she's still pretty skittish about sudden movements, and being approached by us (instead of vice versa). She definitely will stop what she's doing, even if it's a really energetic play session, to keep an eye on my husband if he's doing anything but sitting quietly nearby. She seems to be used to being around both of us at once as long as we're sitting still, but having multiple people moving still seems to be scary for her. I think she likes to be able to keep an eye on any movement near her.

I'm wondering if your cat might just still be settling in, and finds it easier to stick with one-on-one for now.