TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that just might help with your kitty: Feliway
http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/2304.htm

Article, written by a DVM
http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-10-2...pray-pheromone

She writes:
Some vets use Feliway spray on lab coats, their hands or around an exam room if a cat seems especially stressed during a visit.
Might be worth a try, wouldn't you think?

Some ideas for the cat carrier:
http://www.petstyle.com/cats/trainin...ed-cat-carrier

More helpful advice:
http://www.holisticat.com/vet-visit.html

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

And Carolina I did not know Ketamine was on a recall last year. That is scary because Boo was doing just great up until he had his dental and tooth extraction, two separate events and two separate Ketamine/Valium sedations for it. That was towards the end 09 and by March of this year he crashed with CRF. I can't say it was absolutely the Ketamine, but I can tell you he used to chase me around the house and I him, every morning when I got home, he used to be so happy and so like a child. Now he is just tired, though he is having good days. Just not the days that (I feel) were stolen from him.

It also makes even more sense why it took him more than a day to come out of the stupor and Mom still claims one of his eyes have gone lazy because of the last Ketamine thing.

The gas is what I would go for. Good luck Cslenker
Then ketamine recall was very bad. vets were not even notified of it, it was known about long before it came out. If you do a search you will find articles. I may ahve posted the links here at the time (december) but too lazy to go looking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feliway - does absolutely nothing to help her.
Carrier - she is fine with the carrier as well as a pet stroller.
Car Rides - she likes to ride in the car, I got her used to that as a kitten.

Another thing about her is that she does not like people outside of the family (even at home). I took her to a cat clinic when I had her spayed, I was hoping that they would be able to handle her better. When I picked her up the next day the vet told me that she is a viscious cat. I went and got her out of their cage, put her in my carrier and brought her home. My regular vet deals with her very well. He is patient, calm, and even takes being bit very well. I just don't like her biting them and I want to stay on top of her health. She is a 5 lb. cat that turns into a lion at the vets office. But I'm not going to let that stop her from getting the medical care and check-ups that she needs. I have even started giving her her vaccines at home because it's better for her. She just needs her rabies shot and check-up from the vet.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add Feliway makes my cat even more angry when used.

Also - we use ketamine with everything. We use ace/atropine as a pre injection and use valium/ketamine to induce them. We've started using some other things [for better pain management] but we've only had one patient die from ketamine - it was actually one of my cats and around the time of the recall.

We've had a couple of patients die using propofol so we refuse to use it, and we've had cats who were gassed down have issues with their trachea spasming which has caused 2 deaths that I know of.

I would not advise using Ketamine ever. Ever. Sevoflurane is a fast acting gas, not traumatic at all.
Have you ever actually watched an animal be gassed down? I don't care how quick it is, when you see a cat fighting it and flipping around in the box it is hardly unstressful. Every pet reacts differently, also gassing a cat down can cause trachea spasms. No anesthesia is 100% safe.

My cat died using what we consider to be the safest anesthetic protocol. Anesthesia is dangerous - period. It's a risk you take putting your cat under or even yourself when you go in for surgery. Everyone has their horror stories, you need to trust your vet to know his anesthetic and know what he's doing. That's all you can do.

You can also use dormitor/torb without ketamine, the cat will just be super stiff.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ace and valium are also not allowed to be used in my cats. What you describe in the gassing box is isoflurane, not sevoflurane.

Everyone has different opinions and different methods.

The best thing to do is do some research to educate oneself then discuss ones findings and fears and concerns with the attending vet. That vet is the only one, after all, who really knows the cat's health history, and while some things can't be predicated, that vet knows best what the cat will tolerate.

I belong to a lot of pet forums. The things I read most about bad reactions in cats are: ketamine (blindness, sometimes temporary sometimes not and death) metacam (acute kidney failure, expensive treatments, death) and convenia (bad reactions) and over doses of Acepromazine (death)

Vets continue to use these things, because..well they are there to be used. Each situation is different. Every treatment has it's place and not all cats will have bad reactions.

Everyone has a choice though, and none of the above will ever be used in my cats, except in the most dire of circumstances (perhaps a cat with asthma who would not be able to tolerate gas, for example).