Cat gnaws plastic everything

fleakilled

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 2 (3?) years old. He started to take plastic baggies and anything plastic and chew on them. It gets so bad some nights I wake up hearing him choking on plastic. He also gnaws at USB cords. For a year I thought he was biting at them chewing them up, but the ipod cord which is his favorite, he hasn't actually bitten through it anywhere. I can see gentle puncture marks but it looks like he's trying to just get the wire between his teeth and chomp down on it rather than bite it directly and chew it up.

So if he's trying to cram the plastic cord between his teeth, this is what I assume he's also doing with plastic baggies, is there an issue with his gums? Maybe his teeth hurt and this relieves pain? I ignored this behavior as a kitten because I thought he was just teething, but now I'm getting tired of yelling at him every minute to get away from the garbage can. He knows I punish him and scream NO when he does it, he knows what no means since he runs away every time i scream it at him as he's about to chew something plastic. But once I look away, or even while I'm watching he sneaks up, sniffs it, licks it, and tries to discreetly chew it till I have to go pick him up and carry him away.

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, no, that could be dangerous. Screaming is usually not the best way to communicate, especially with cats. You can simply take the plastic away, tell him "no" in a calm but firm voice. But your best bet is to prevent him from getting to the plastic in the first place, and get him something he CAN chew on such as cat grass. Cat grass is sold at almost all pet supplies stores. It's something good for him to chew on. Even after getting the cat grass I would keep the bags put away where he cant' get to them, and try rubbing a little citrus oil on the cords he is chewing to keep him away. Good luck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to keep plastic bags and packaging away from my two because they will eat it.  I've not had a problem with cords though.  I would try to put as much away as you can and perhaps try something like Bitter Apple to help deter him from cords that you cannot move.  

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastic seems like a common thing for cats to chew on. Carolina's Bugsy will start to eat plastic if you aren't making his food fast enough. :p
I think you'll just have to get into the habit of cat-proofing your house. Maybe you can cover the USB cords in tinfoil and that will keep him away? Or use um, bitter apple spray? Or rub them with citrus?