Cat giving birth

babymamacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently been able to feel the kittens moving around in her stomach, and I estimated the day to be around 59 right now which means they should be coming soon but I want to be there when she does give birth and I am worried I wont be. so what are some early signs of birth I can watch for so I know when this is going to happen? even a couple days prior

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens may drop into the birth canal and she may appear less round. Her vulva will start to dilate and she may have some discharge or lose her mucous plug. Her tummy may feel tight. She may appear uncomfortable and move around trying to find a good position. She will lick herself a lot. If you see rippling in her sides then she will likely be contracting. She may show some, none or all of these signs in the days preceding birth. Most cats show a few.

Do you have a nesting area set up for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babymamacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes I have gotten her a big box n put some towels in it. I have tried this  before earlier in her pregnancy n she showed no interest and she is doing the same with this one n I am afraid she isn't going to use it n is going to go on the floor or something. I put it in my kitchen in a corner.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try setting it up in a closet with the door cracked open. Show it to her. Cats like dark places and privacy for birthing their kittens. My cat showed no interest in the nest I set up until the day before she gave birth. Your cat may prefer her nest in your bedroom so she can be near you when her time comes. You can give her a couple of options. :)