cat getting litter on back legs

beccamperr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old girl who about 50% of the time gets litter all on her back legs after peeing. I've watched her and she sits kind of low, but it looks like it's somehow happening when she's covering her pee.

She has a very large litterbox so space isn't an issue.

Does anyone have any litter recommendations for this? I've tried dr. elsey's and arm & hammer and it's just a mess with her, they're way too "gummy" or glue like. Is there a clay litter that's less sticky for a lack of better words? I'm a little wary of pine pellets and corn litter because I've heard mixed reviews, but I am open to trying them!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have it in your area I highly recommend odour buster cat litter. It's the best stuff I've ever used. It just isn't readily available.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any non clumping litter will solve that. I tried clumping litter and the same thing would happen to Boone. Went back to the non clumping and there has been no issue. I like Fresh Step litter.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll need something that absorbs quickly to prevent this from happening.

I do recommend paper litter for it. The pellets are heavier so cats fling them less.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 1 year old girl who about 50% of the time gets litter all on her back legs after peeing.
Just curious if she's a long hair kitty. :think: The reason I asked is because we often have this problem due to our cats, past and present, being a long hair. We solved the problem by getting a sanitary shave which helped a lot.