Cat Getting A Little Tubby, Eats Brothers Food

rayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 bonded litter-mates 20 months old, they are inseparable. I have tried timed feedings, and feeding in different rooms and am almost to the point of getting those microchip feeders, but before i spend that much money I wanted to get some advice.

Here is the background: I adopted these boys at 13 months, when i got them they were eating dry and would get fancy feast gravy lovers in the am and pm. Streak was 14.8lbs and Squinty was 15.2lbs, Vet said for their body types Streak was on the high end of healthy weight ( the smaller of the two) and the tall one, Squinty at 15.2lbs had perfect body condition. The only issue I was having is that they were very very gassy because of their super high carb diet.
I eventually got them transitioned to freeze dried raw ( no more deadly gas ).

Streak is now at 14lbs and Squinty is 17lbs, when viewed from above the smaller of the two, Streak looks good...but Squinty is starting to take on a more rounded appearance not quite football shape, but close, I'm afraid if I dont get it under control now Squinty is just going to get bigger.

Here is our mealtime scenario: 6am Big Boy ( Squinty ) wakes me up by jumping up and down off the bed, pacing and purring...jumping up walking across me to the nightstand, jumping off and repeating this. While this is going on Streak just sits at the doorway waiting for me to get up. I then go to the kitchen, Squinty races past me as his little brother saunters beside me.
I start to prepare their food...Big Boy can't wait he is up on the counters trying to get his bowl before I've even finished making it. The Little one is patiently waiting for his bowl sitting calmly on the floor. I put the food down...Big Boy eats his food as if he hasnt had food in weeks, Streak has 1 or two bites then walks over to the fridge and plops down and watches his brother eat. Once big boy has had his fill ( he goes between bowls ) Streak then goes to his brothers bowl has a few more bites and then is done, leaving his bowl with food left over, at this point i leave it down for about 2 hours, because I feel like Streak isnt eating enough and might get hungry. I go about my business and the food is gone when i go back to the kitchen. Pretty sure its big boy finishing it off given the fact that he is getting chunky.

what I've tried: more limited timed feedings ( 20 minutes )..Streak gets hungry, i try to sneak him some food...yeah that doesnt work, damn Squinty and those big ears of his! I have tried in different rooms but the little one wont eat without his brother in the room.

Any advice on how to get Squinty to not eat his brothers food?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two cats -- also litter mates -- sound a lot like your two. What works for us is separating them for the entire meal, so the cats are separated by a door. Based on what you're saying, that might not work for your two but maybe you could try shutting Streak in for a while after he seems to be done? I would definitely not continue leaving his dishes down so there's a possibility of Squinty finishing Streak's food. It just reinforces Squinty's scavenging.

Have you tried sprinkling something tasty on top of Streak's food? Pure Bites go a long way in keeping Ireland (our slow eater) happy. We also recently discovered that part of her seemingly lagging appetite must have been caused by mild constipation. If you're feeding a freeze-dried food with a fair bit of bone (as is usually the case!) that might be affecting Streak's appetite. Ireland has been eating lots better ever since I started adding a little pumpkin to her food twice a day. We've also cut back on freeze-dried raw and added more homemade food that has eggshell instead of bone. The difference in Ireland's appetite and eating is amazing!

Good luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've got basically the same issue here...one skinny little thing that doesn't like to simply sit at his bowl and eat in one sitting, and one chow hound. I feed them in separate room, but no door to shut one out. One is fed in the kitchen, the other in the living room. I just keep an eye on the skinny one's bowl and if the chow hound comes around, I shoo him away. I also use toppers to tempt the skinny one.

Additionally, I have found the constipation issue to be a problem with freeze dried raw, so I give treats right before they settle in to eat of freeze dried 100% whole meats to counteract the extra bone in the food. Them I use same item as a topper for the picky cat.

I think you really just need to monitor your guys and keep Squinty out of his brother's food. Adding some pumpkin to his food could help him feel more full in addition to helping with any bathroom issues. Our Vet recommended that to me years ago when I was feeding "real" raw and our pudge was gaining on it. We had cut the amount down to practically nothing and he was still gaining. She didn't want us cutting it down any further, so suggested adding some pumpkin which is low in calories but high in fiber which can help them feel full.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie was like streak. She would eat a few bites then leave. Now I mix in her regular pate with a low carb topper like canidae duck/chicken,wild frontier,or miko. She eats 1/4 50z can and another 1/4 later. Big eater though only 8 pds. My cat Peaches tries to steal her food but she will throw up if she eats too much so I have to watch them. Trixie puzzles have worked. Cut 2 treats in fourths with a pill cutter and hide them. I feed them them canned only 4x a day.

I use this site as many others on here!

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat