Cat gets in litter box but poops over the side

swingeasy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this is my first post.  We just got a new kitty after 6 years without one.  Summer is 1 year old, checked out very healthy at the Vets, is used to being an inside cat but she has one problem we have never saw with a cat and we don't know what to do.

Here is the problem, she gets in her litter box, a large one, and digs a hole but then hangs her rear end over the edge of the box and poops on the floor.  She does not do this when she urinates.

We got her a large covered litter box thinking that would take care of the problem, WRONG, what she does now is exactly what she was doing before, she digs a hole and then sticks her butt out the entry hole and poops on the floor.

Summer is a small cat, 8 pounds, and we got her a very large litter box so she has plenty of room in it.  We clean the box twice a day and we use clumping litter.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

swingeasy

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome!!

if the litter box with high sides aren't working.. How about a litter box with a hole on the TOP for her to get in and out? Like this:

You can make one by getting a large deep storage box with a lid.. cut a hole in the lid big enough for her to get in and out.

hope it helps!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get rid of the covered box and invest in a box that's longer with higher sides, like a rubbermaid tote.  If you can find the ones that go under the bed, that's perfect.  Otherwise, you can get the taller sided ones, take the top off, then cut a hole in the end for entrance/exit. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.  Scroll down on this thread to see the pic.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/217069/make-your-own-litter-box-from-rss-feed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swingeasy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response, I am going to get a high side box and a top entry box.  I will put one at one end of the house and the other one at the other end.  Summer has the run of the whole house so I am sure she will find both.  Will let you know how it goes.  Thanks!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do update us!

I've heard others mention many times that some cats don't like to pee in the same place they poo. So perhaps that is contributing to it.  Either way; I think the boxes mentioned above would be helpful!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Sorry, I had to laugh at the image if her still doing it w/ a lid on, but hinney hang'n out of the front!

That's what Angel used to do, but he's a big long boy, so I went to Walmart & got one of those slide under the bed storage boxes. (maybe $8.00?)

Don't remember exactly how much it was, because it's been a while, but It worked!

Here's a picture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swingeasy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Damn, I hate these popups on this site. OK, Im going to try again.  Thank you everyone for all your help.  Sorry I havent responded in a while but I wanted to wait and see how the new litter box worked.  I bought a bigger box, 24 inches long, 21 inches wide & 8 inches deep.  I guess it did the trick, Summer hasn't missed the box in 4 days now.  I got rid of the covered box.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray!!  Sometimes you have to do some unconventional things to make the kitty happy.