CAT GENETICS / pregnancy...

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a lilac/Blue ticked tabby asian, given to me by my aunt and cat show buddy. She is two years old, and I have been very responsible in terms of keeping her away from males, as I intended to breed from her. We recently moved, so needed a new outside enclosure and catflap installed so she could have outside access, like at our old house. We had it built six months ago, but roughly six weeks ago, I heard a racket downstairs. I went down to investigate, and there was a huge red mackerel tabby in the run. Of course, now luna is pregnant. I was very upset, but after a long talk with my aunt, decided to let her have the kittens. We are a family of cat fanatics, and we all have various breeds in our households, such as British short-hair exotic and burmese. I have eight homes amongst responsible family members to give the kittens to and I plan to keep one myself, soI will neuter them asap and get them settled in a loving home. I also have breeders insurance, so am covered against any possible emergency. Now I have all the difficulties ironed out, I'm getting a bit excited. It's her first litter. I was just wondering if any of you know anything about cat genetics, and what they might look like?
I can't see them moving yet, but she's very big, and my vet said she looks radiant. I must be doing a good job. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The girls will tend to be torties, diluted or not.  The boys will carry her colors - ie black or blue.  Some will prob be tabbies/torbies too after the father.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love cat genetics! Agreed with StefanZ's analysis on the colors. :) Do you know what Luna's parents look like? The genes that control the tabby patterns are pretty interesting, and ticked tabby is the most dominant tabby gene, but we don't know all of the factors to be able to predict the tabby pattern (i.e. what tabby patterns did Luna's parents have, did they have tabby patterns at all, etc.). I think it is safe to say that it is pretty likely that a lot of the kittens will be ticked tabbies. The actual probability depends on what the non-dominant tabby gene is for Luna and the male cat and whether or not either are carriers of the non-agouti (no tabby) gene, and although we can't determine that for the father, we might get some ideas from knowing the colors of Luna's parents. :)

You said it was six weeks ago when the male got in, right? Cat pregnancies tend to last 9-10 weeks, so you have 3-4 weeks to go! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found dad's owner and let them know what has happened. Apparently, mum was tortie and dad was the same as him. Luna's mum was a lilac/platinum ticked tabby. Dad was a beautiful glossy dark brown, getting darker at the points. Luna has a slight point on face, ears and tail.

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luna seems to be getting bigger by the day now, and I'm sure I can detect slight movement. I'm probably over analysing, but I'm wondering how long the wire was loose on the enclosure and if she's further along. There is no milk in her nipples, and she isn't laying on her side alot or anything. She is enjoying laying in her nesting area we set up in the wardrobe, but she isn't digging it up and getting it to her liking for labour yet. What do you think? I know it's hard to say....

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love her dearly! She is my greatest companion... I just hope this goes ok. She is a bit on the small side, but being nearly two years old goes in her favour I hope. :)

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have every owned moggies, but my sweet more 6 than 7 pound cat gave birth to 5 good sized babies in may and it went fine. I can barely believe they all fit !

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is leaking a clear fluid from her nipples. I thought she was six weeks along, but could she be further? I'm home alone and in a state of panic!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be closer to giving birth.  Is it a lot of clear fluid?  I would think that is colostrum but I don't know for sure.  I would worry if it were blood, but I think clear is ok.  Waiting for others with more knowledge than I do to weigh in here.  Does she act ok?

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have every owned moggies, but my sweet more 6 than 7 pound cat gave birth to 5 good sized babies in may and it went fine. I can barely believe they all fit !
Luna weighs 3.5kg at the moment..
Ive got my fingers crossed!!

Last edited by a moderator:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually I only convert kg to lb for Christmas dinner but I 'd say she's over 8 lb that's not very small, do you know how much she has gained?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leaking from the nipples is common in the days leading up to birthing. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lunasmummy001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought she was having contractions last night, but she's fine this morning. No discharge or plug...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can also have pre-labor contractions in the days leading up to real labor.