Cat Gave Birth To Stillborn Litter And Is Still Pregnant!

sehrishneno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was prompted to sign up to find answers for pregnant cat. Momma Cat is a stray who i took some months ago. She spends most of her time outside and I had not got around to spaying her as yet. She'd gotten reallllyyy huge and for about a week now has been spending all her time indoors except when she needs the bathroom. I put a cage in my bedroom with t shirts and newspapers for her to give birth in. Yesterday morning Momma Cat was a little frantic, nesting, and I knew she was ready to deliver. This was very early in the morning and I being pregnant myself fell asleep instead of staying by her side. When i woke up she had delivered two kittens, both were intact in the amniotic sac, she had not eaten the placenta either. I quickly tore open one of the sacs and found the kitten dead and cold. Soon after she gave birth to a third and as she couldnt open the sac herself i tore it for her. She licked the kitten clean, ate the placenta and chewed off the umbilical cord, but the kitten was stillborn. She tried to lick it but it did not breathe. We moved all three kittens away from her and my husband was there for her fourth kitten, who was also stillborn. All four kittens were tiny and had no fur, and the last one wasnt even fully formed.

It has now been more than 24 hours and my cat is still pretty pregnant. She isnt lethargic, in fact she is absolutely fine and active. She is eating and excreting, and even purring and seeking affection. From my calculations my cat is 8 weeks pregnant currently. Is it possible that she aborted some of the litter and will have the rest when her gestation period is over? Should I be concerned about her even though she seems perfectly alright? Any answers would be really appreciated!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she will likely carry the others to full-term.

You should really keep her inside 100% of the time with a litter box until she can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

She does not need to get pregnant again, and cats can mate again within a week of giving birth, or go off in heat for days, leaving the kittens behind.

I hope all goes well! Keep us posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes agree. If she is fine no visible problems you can calmly wait . Continue to observe the situation is somewhat touchy.

ThisDesertSoul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was prompted to sign up to find answers for pregnant cat. Momma Cat is a stray who i took some months ago. She spends most of her time outside and I had not got around to spaying her as yet. She'd gotten reallllyyy huge and for about a week now has been spending all her time indoors except when she needs the bathroom. I put a cage in my bedroom with t shirts and newspapers for her to give birth in. Yesterday morning Momma Cat was a little frantic, nesting, and I knew she was ready to deliver. This was very early in the morning and I being pregnant myself fell asleep instead of staying by her side. When i woke up she had delivered two kittens, both were intact in the amniotic sac, she had not eaten the placenta either. I quickly tore open one of the sacs and found the kitten dead and cold. Soon after she gave birth to a third and as she couldnt open the sac herself i tore it for her. She licked the kitten clean, ate the placenta and chewed off the umbilical cord, but the kitten was stillborn. She tried to lick it but it did not breathe. We moved all three kittens away from her and my husband was there for her fourth kitten, who was also stillborn. All four kittens were tiny and had no fur, and the last one wasnt even fully formed.

It has now been more than 24 hours and my cat is still pretty pregnant. She isnt lethargic, in fact she is absolutely fine and active. She is eating and excreting, and even purring and seeking affection. From my calculations my cat is 8 weeks pregnant currently. Is it possible that she aborted some of the litter and will have the rest when her gestation period is over? Should I be concerned about her even though she seems perfectly alright? Any answers would be really appreciated!
My husband and I encountered the same thing with a stray we took in. She wandered up to our house, very tiny and cute, and we melted. Unfortunately, we didn't realize until too late that she was prego. Approx. 4 weeks after her arrival, we found 3 dead kittens under our carport. They were still in their sacks and looked to be small but almost fully formed. We checked over our kitty and determined that they did belong to her; however, she was still quite round and obviously still pregnant. 2 weeks after the incident our new addition kitty gave birth yet again; this time there were 3 orange and 1 calico, all healthy and as adorable as they come!
IMG_20220514_042135.jpg