Cat gave birth 3 days ago, still has more babies in belly

waresave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbor’s outdoor cat gave birth to six kittens in my closet three days ago. She’s barely a year old, very small, and a first time mother. It’s obvious that she has one or two kittens left in her belly, you can really feel them through her skin when she’s laying down nursing. They’re definitely still moving around in there albeit very slowly. She hasn’t been eating nor drinking much. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice? At what point should I be concerned about the delay?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have any decent vet, its best to consult himher.

Otherwise, some kittens getting deliver later is not that unusual. If momma seems OK no troubles, the common advice is to wait and see.
But as you say, if momma isnt eating nor drinking much, its potentially alarming.

I presume she ate at least several placentas, but still.

So, lets hope for the best, but DO consult a vet asap. W waresave

Ps. Tx for taking care of neigbours cat.
Apparently she feels more safe with you than her owner.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. During the time you wait for vet, give her calcium rich food. Whatever you have at home and she eats. Being outdoor cat of a negligent neigbour she probably has thin reserves.

Goats milk is always a good supplement, mild youghurt, cheese... Try to entice her, perhaps let her eat from your hand?

Ps 2 With 6 or more kittens, you may run into problems... A common solution is to let kittens share timetable, half on, half on...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She likely mated again later and conceived a few days later. She’ll have the others when the kittens and her body are ready. It does happen.

In the meantime, nursing is hard work and with six, she’s exhausted. Get a can of powdered kitten formula (no Hartz), and some 1-2mL syringes (no needles), and be prepared to supplement. Order Miracle Nipples on Amazon. Give mom a dish or two a day to drink for the extra calcium she needs. Weigh the kittens daily in grams. Keep us posted!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She likely mated again later and conceived a few days later. She’ll have the others when the kittens and her body are ready. It does happen.

In the meantime, nursing is hard work and with six, she’s exhausted. Get a can of powdered kitten formula (no Hartz), and some 1-2mL syringes (no needles), and be prepared to supplement. Order Miracle Nipples on Amazon. Give mom a dish or two a day to drink for the extra calcium she needs. Weigh the kittens daily in grams. Keep us posted!
Best to double check with the vet though, just in case it's from the same litter