Cat Furniture ... Trees/Towers, etc

msujohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking into buying our new kitty a place to climb and play in. Are these something that all cats would enjoy? I've been looking around at all the local places Petco, Petsmart, etc and haven't found anything that I like yet. I'm hoping to get something in the 5, 6 or 7 feet range (several levels, with scratching poles, etc). Can anyone recommend a site online that offers these? I've done some searching and it looks like alot of these get pretty bad reviews (quality wise).

Is there anything that I need to consider? Stay away from, etc?

Any suggestions on brands/models you bought would be appreciated.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one below is the one I have it... My kitties LOVE it and use it a LOT - I've had it for over 2 years and it is as good as new. My lightest kitty weighs 10lbs, the second 12.5 and the heaviest 18lb. It is 74" high.
Armarkat A7401

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msujohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I'm currently looking at a few of the Armarkat's. Trying to keep it under $150.

azurarverja

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I'm looking for a cat tree too. Has anyone used this one that I've been looking at?
http://www.ryanspet.com/productInfo.aspx?itemNo=TP43867
It's not as tall as some of the others (only 56") but I need to save money where I can and it seems to be a really good price for a cat tree that size. (to be quite honest will probably be the tallest piece of furniture in the living room at that height haha)
Any red flags?

Also, should I wait on getting a tall scratching post since I've got such a tiny little guy? I'm a little concerned he'll be able to climb up and I don't want him to fall off

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another two paws up for Armarkat Cat Trees. I've had two for several years with six, sometimes eight cats, using them - they are sturdy, durable and well-loved.

Even better, when a particular piece becomes worn, say the sisal rope gets clawed off of the cats favorite scratching leg, you can replace that leg at a very reasonable cost.

AC

wsxdrfvgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although I can't recommend any websites, I can address some of your other points.
Cats generally do like cat trees, but not all cats are into cat trees. Some will ignore them completely, some will ignore certain features on them completely. Sometimes it will end up being a hideous waste of money.
Sometimes the features we think our cats will love the most, they won't even like. Our cats were terrified of some of the features we thought they'd enjoy on their cat tree, it was only after a month that they decided they liked one (a basket-like bed) but still sparingly use the cave.

Some things to look for:
Make sure it has lots of sisal rope for scratching, and up to the height where your biggest cat can fully stretch out on it.
Make sure it's upholstered with carpet. It's more fun to scratch. Fake fur is not very fun.
If it has toys, make sure they are attached sturdily. Ours had a ball on an elastic string at the top, and our boy cat relentlessly grabbed the ball with his mouth and jumped to the floor with it over and over until it broke.

A lot of the cheaper cat trees are pretty poor quality, made in china rubbish. Sometimes it's better to see them in real life if you can. Although ours hasn't collapsed and the beds have stayed in place, it's constantly coming lose. Ones that don't collapse at my price range are a good deal though, I think.

Good luck finding one!

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I vote for the Molly and Friends! I don't have one yet but the reviews are awesome. Kitties and I are saving our pennies! You have to be careful about ones made with cheap carpet and glue. They can cause all sorts of respiratory or eye problems.

We got a cheap cat tree and my girl kept having her eye swell up. As soon as the tree was gone, the eye trouble never came back! I know it was the cheap carpet used.

I do have one of these trees though and have had no trouble. Rough play for going on 4th year. Carpet is a bit frayed but that's what it's there for!

http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/Produ...do_lcondos.htm