Cat Furniture ideas?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They look a little top heavy for fatter cats. Maybe larger bases would be good. Most cat towers have shorter nap carpet on them.  I think I also see some tape on the last one.  The rope on them might be a little more secure, too.

Now all that said, I am nitpicking.  I am trying to think all of the things that could go wrong if Sugar and Spice would get ahold of them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

todd rogers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first two do have what look like small bases but are heavy and so far Roxy and Electra have not been able to knock them over. I use thicker plush carpet for more comfort. The rope is glued per hot melt glue and the tape that you refer to is actually Upholstery Material fastened in such a way that it will take a lot of punishment from the most aggressive Feline.

Thanks for your input! Nitpicker! lol Now was there anything that you liked about them?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do nice work! I like the fact that they have sisal rope. Mine don't have that. I love the second one with the floral fabric. It's nice that it's decorative AND functional cat furniture, not too many are both. I also like the little hiding places at the bottom. Mine like a little edge to lean against in their top level. Maybe you could add that to some of them. I'm impressed. Do you make them to sell or for your own cats?

todd rogers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You for your Comments and Input! My Brother Has Three Full Grown Cats so I built these as a test to see which one they would like and use so far they have given approval by inspection and use. it's like they knew exactly what they were for. I have looked at some in the pet stores and am dissatisfied with the quality of the materials that were used in the construction. If there is interest I may build others to provide on custom orders.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're on to something good here. I think people would love it if they could send you fabric to use that matches their home. I haven't seen that option anywhere. It seems like one of the biggest complaints people have is the tree wobbling when the cats play really hard. Just make sure the bottom is heavy and you'll have that solved. I had a hard time finding one with an extra large platform because my cats like to sleep next to each other. Just something you could consider. Now I want a new cat tree

todd rogers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate your feedback and honest opinion. I take all advise into consideration.
Animal Safety is the main concern.

todd rogers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen others with the house up high that seemed unstable So I put the House or enclosure on the bottom my brothers cats are pretty big and one jumped from the floor to the top platform without knocking over. I wish materials were less expensive. I went to buy some carpet and thought I could get some remnants at a low cost but the store I went to sells small pieces for 25% off so $5.00 or more per yard for decent soft pile. Sisal rope you could use up $20.00 on one project very easily. I will need to source lower cost materials with out sacrificing quality. I like your idea about Custom fabric matching for a clients home I will build another larger platform unit in a couple of days and post photos. Thanks! Your ideas are very helpful.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some trees have a ledge (a few inches high) around the edge of the highest platform. My cats seem to like this. They smoosh up right next to it and sometimes rest their head on it  like a pillow lol. I also feel like it keeps them from falling off in their sleep, but I think I might worry a little too much about them
. Just throwing another thought your way.