Cat fur loss progression

scoutthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's me and Scout again and I am becoming a bit more worried. I am having trouble sleeping because I can't figure out what is wrong with scout. He is the sunshine in my life and I become very stressed when I can't figure out what is wrong with him. He had a urinary blockage back around the end of September due to stress probably from me going Missing to college. He got fixed and had his paws shaved around but they never grew back which was okay. Then he started to loose butt fur around Thanksgiving I think but I wasn't too sure if that wasn't shaved off too. Then around the beginning of December he started to become bald around his stomach and it almost seems he has lost his 2nd layer of fur. I keep worrying but I don't have a vet that can seem him anymore since ours just retired in October. All vet clinics are not accepting new animals in my area as well. I pulled a bit on his fur today and saw quite a bit of fur come off him. Not full clumps but a few strands of fur.

If anyone is able to help put me at ease that would be very helpful. I'm just really worried for him and am scared to lose him. He is only 2 years old.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once had a cat who lost the fur from his back end and belly, a vet visit showed it to be caused by stress. He was given a course of steroids and in time the fur grew back. As you said your cat had a urinary blockage most probably caused by stress so it's possible stress is causing this. Can you contact the other vet practices and ask for advice, ask if they could possibly see you as its been going on for a while and your cat needs help, they have a duty of care so shouldn't refuse you. The fur loss could be caused by a reaction to something in your home, a change of food or something else but he needs to see a vet so dont be fobbed off with being told no. Did you have Scout from a rescue centre, if so, contact them, they might well have seen this before.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I once had a cat who lost the fur from his back end and belly, a vet visit showed it to be caused by stress. He was given a course of steroids and in time the fur grew back. As you said your cat had a urinary blockage most probably caused by stress so it's possible stress is causing this. Can you contact the other vet practices and ask for advice, ask if they could possibly see you as its been going on for a while and your cat needs help, they have a duty of care so shouldn't refuse you. The fur loss could be caused by a reaction to something in your home, a change of food or something else but he needs to see a vet so dont be fobbed off with being told no. Did you have Scout from a rescue centre, if so, contact them, they might well have seen this before.
I was thinking this as well. We had a cat growing up that would do this and it was all caused by stress even though she didn't "act" stressed. Turns out another cat in the house was bullying her.
Are there any other cats in the house, or any cats that you suspect come around at night outside that Scout is reacting to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoutthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking this as well. We had a cat growing up that would do this and it was all caused by stress even though she didn't "act" stressed. Turns out another cat in the house was bullying her.
Are there any other cats in the house, or any cats that you suspect come around at night outside that Scout is reacting to?
Scout is the only cat and we haven't seen any cats outside. I wonder if he may of had separation anxiety since he was adopted by me during covid so I stayed home with him 24/7 spoiling him. I moved away and couldn't take him with me to college and all this stress related stuff started happening.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scout is the only cat and we haven't seen any cats outside. I wonder if he may of had separation anxiety since he was adopted by me during covid so I stayed home with him 24/7 spoiling him. I moved away and couldn't take him with me to college and all this stress related stuff started happening.
I'd say that is very possible. Could you try feliway?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S scoutthecat when your vet retired in October, did they offer referrals to other places that might take in some clients if they have a referral from that particular vet? Have you called vets in your area and explained the situation (assuming helping him relax doesn't help resolve the problem)?