Cat frightened to go outside

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female Cat, Priscilla, is two years old.  She is suddenly (as of last two months) frightened to go out in our fenced back yard.  We have another male cat (her sib) that is also two, and a younger male about a year old.  They used to all go out and have fun. But since a while back, Priscille panics when put outside.  She cries and cries to come back in.

I might say that we have had two new small female cats to move in next door, but they are mostly inside.  Priscilla jused to go in that yard, and get under a shed that they have.  She got caught in a storm under there.  We fenced it up so nothing gets under it now.

Any ideas of why she is frightened, and what to do? Thanks.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly; I'd let her stay in!  Prefer it even!  I know practices in other countries can be different; but in the US it's common to keep cats indoors.  It's less dangerous for them.  And if she is happy enough inside that helps.  Otherwise I think you could try giving her a place to hide outside where she feels safe.  Preferably something close to the door at first; a bench or chair she can hide under but also get out from under easily if she feels threatened. 

My Mother's cat Olivia started getting dive-bombed by some birds in the yard and that made her hesitant to go outside anymore.  But now she has found a few bushes that she is generally safe under.  So that is where she goes.  She just doesn't waste time getting there if she hears the birds!  I'm thinking she tried hunting them at some point; but they won that battle! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Good advice.. She does get bored, as my other cats like to be out. Thanks!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is bored inside; a cat tree in front of a window might be nice for her.  If you look around; you can find ones to fit different budgets and locations.  We have our tree (purchased off ebay) in front of a window that has a bird feeder hanging in front of it.  My 2 love it!  And we enjoy watching the birds.  For about a year we had a neighbor's cat who would come and sit on our back patio and watch the birds too.  (And hunt them of course...)  Maybe with time she'll be more comfortable going out again.

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.  Good suggestions!

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My Mother's cat Olivia started getting dive-bombed by some birds in the yard and that made her hesitant to go outside anymore.  But now she has found a few bushes that she is generally safe under.  So that is where she goes.  She just doesn't waste time getting there if she hears the birds!  I'm thinking she tried hunting them at some point; but they won that battle! 
Same thing happened to three different cats of ours. My husband's cat was chased by crows; she used to startle all of a sudden and hide under the sofa for no appearent reason, we were puzzled until a neighbor told us that she saw the poor kitty being chased by crows right before this strange behavior occured. Then my former cat (who could go out and have fun in the garden whenever she wanted) caught a pigeon somehow (she had a collar with a bell to prevent her catching birds), and then she got scared when the pigeon began to flap her wings. Her pigeon trauma lasted about six months; whenever she saw a pigeon in the garden she used to dash into the house for shelter. And last year my Peanut had became a toy of two bored magpies at the balcony; while one of them was luring her the other one was aproaching from behind and pecking her butt. Peanut refused to go out to the balcony without us for several months. A few years ago she also got scared of a thunderbolt that roared just as she was going out to the balcony, it took months for her to overcome her "balcony fear" after that incident. 

Anyway, it's possible that your cat also got scared of something outside. It might get some time, but she will probably gather her courage and return to her jungle. In my experience their fear only lasts at most until the next spring comes. 

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Makes me feel better to know others have had this problem! She will go out with me, a short time. Perhaps she will get better.