Cat friendly floor cleaner

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat eats her chicken wings off the tile in my studio so I clean it every so often. I won't use my essential oil cleaner on the floor because I'm concerned about it getting in her system so I've been using some Mr. Clean my friend gave me and then wiping any remnants of it off the floor when I'm done. Does anyone happen to know what cleaner I can use?

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your concerned that your cat may ingest particulates from the cleaner you use, then I'd suggest a natural based cleaner. I use Better Life products mostly, but Method and Seventh Generation are also widely available. All 3 of those brands are available at my local Target. 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've come to value simplicity when it comes to cleaning.  I use baby wipes for a lot of my clean-ups these days.

The other thing I do is make my own.  I make a 10% bleach water solution and add a smidge of liquid laundry soap (NOT dish soap) in a spray bottle. 

Other folks like to use a vinegar water solution which has been proven to be quite effective.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleaning vinegar will be safe in case some of it gets in to her meals everyday? I'm sure it should all be picked up with a hot rag.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
White distilled vinegar is safe and inexpensive. It's even edible (although it doesn't taste very good). I add from 2 to 16 ozs. (depending on how strong a solution I want) to a 32-oz. spray bottle, then fill the remainder of the bottle with water. Since I've had my cats, I use that for all cleaning.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my regular cleaning of the floors I use a steam mop.  DH and I noticed that after we started steaming the floors the girls were willing to eat off of them.  Before that they'd just leave the food they dropped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooncat89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I steam clean our floors. The local shelter uses vinegar and water to clean all the floors, but steam cleans in addition when rooms have a change in occupants.

maryannam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Google a recipe for baking soda and vinegar-can use apple cider maybe.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried the vinegar and water and also bleach and water. 

The problem is I have asthma and both the vinegar and the bleach trigger a reaction. The smell stays in my apartment for a long time, even with the windows open, or the fan on. 

I have to be very careful with cleaning fluid odors. 

I have been trying to use Method cleaners. I really like the bathroom cleaners and the lavender all purpose cleaner for around the house.

I am aware this is a huge no-no, but i use the Swiffer steam cleaner with plain distilled water and the pad for them.

I use mostly steam, and use a towel to wipe down the floor after. 

I need to buy a  real steam cleaner. I cannot afford an expensive one, but I need a good one because, Artie is forever spitting out his meds all over the laminate great room floor and is a very messy eater....

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I need to buy a  real steam cleaner.
:yeah: If you get one with attachments, you can clean just about anything in the house with it, including litter boxes - think of all the household cleaners you won't have to buy. We're on our second Kärcher in 16 years. They're expensive, but when I think of all the cleaners and allergy meds I haven't had to buy and the time saved, they're a bargain.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, I need suggestions for steam cleaners....

I will start a thread for that!!

thanks

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok, I need suggestions for steam cleaners....

I will start a thread for that!!

thanks
I got this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hoover-Ma...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

And clean with a homemade cleaning solution:

HOT water, approx. 1 gallon

1 T Dawn

1 1/2 T White Vinegar

1/2 cup 3% Peroxide

1.  Fill your machine's water reserve with HOT tap water

2. Add Dawn

3. Add vinegar and peroxide (use only 3% - the kind you get in drug store to use on cuts)

Clean as recommended. You can rinse floor, but not necessary.

I've used this and it works really good.  I don't use any chemicals to clean around here.

Last edited: