Cat Fountain Help

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Simba has urinary issues so I've been using the CatIt fountain for about six months now. Unfortunately, Simba is a big, strong kitty. Over the last few weeks he's learned how to stick his paw in the fountain and move it all around the floor, spilling water everywhere. Now I'm thinking about getting a new fountain. Would a different design solve this problem, or do you think he's going to keep doing this regardless? Any advice is appreciated!

noisette

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's that big he might just keep moving a new one. You could see if there are any heavy duty ones that are already weighted down.

... Maybe permanenly attatch it to the floor or see of you can put it in a shelf where he can't wiggle it around. (of course, he might try to take it off the shelf but it's worth a shot)

also, where does he tend to move it to? Maybe he just wants it in a different spot?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could simply get some foam sticky back tape and tape some kind of barrier just larger than the fountain, and set the fountain in that.

ma.vie.en.vert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Crisco did that when I first got her little fountain. I just grabbed a shamwow, dampened it a little and stuck it underneath the fountain. It makes the fountain A LOT harder to move and absorbs any split water. It requires me to use some force to move it so hopefully it'll work for Simba!

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a drinkwell fountain for my two and I have it on top of a bathmat that has a rubber backing. They can't move it although they don't really try. My male likes to dip his paw in and play with the water but that is about it. I do know that they make a bigger drinkwell fountain for larger dogs, maybe that would work better. i think the only difference is that it holds more water and is bigger.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got the ceramic fountain from Petco. It is HUGE and if Simba can move it while it is full, you have more problems than just the water fountain!

Hammecher Schlemmer also makes a ceramic fountain. It's more expensive but is also more nicely made. They each use the same filter, which is good because I have three fountains altogether.

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I just ask people who use cat fountains if they can see how much a cat is drinking as easily as you can from a bowl? It's one of the ways I use to gauge if my cats are healthy - ie not drinking more than normal. I've been thinking about getting one for my 3, but would hate to miss symptoms of something significant. With a bowl,it's easy, you fill it up and can see instantly if it's gone down more than usual.

Thanks.
Jan

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not for me as:
1) I have more than one cat, no clue how much one of the two is drinking
2) Water fountains evaporate water more readily than stagnant water

So do I notice the level going down, yes, but not really how much they consume.

However, I still recommend the fountains as my kitties at least drink WAY more from a clean nice filtered running fountain than they do a bowl which they seemed very disinterested in. In nature, running water, especially if there is a little waterfall, is very clean compared to stagnant water, which is likely why they are somewhat hardwired to seek out what they perceive as cleanest unless no other options are available.

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your answer. I have 3 cats as well, so if the water did go down more than usual I would have to do further investigations to see which one of them it was - but at least I would be alerted to the potential problem.

I'm really torn on this one. I can see that's its healthier and probably persuades them to drink more, but monitoring how much the water goes down is a bit of an obsession with me, having had a CRF cat in the past. I'm not sure I'd feel happy not knowing. I suppose you have to keep an eye on them and how many times you actually catch them drinking.

Mine are all fed wet only food, to which I add about a dessert spoon of extra water anyway, and I hardly ever see them drink. I probably go into a complete panic if I bought a fountain and they all started drinking away for the fun and novelty of it! I'd have them all at the vet the next day. Guess I'm a worrier!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fountains may evaporate water, but yuou can still tell over time if they're drinking more or less based on the level. Sure it's a learning curve, but I labeled the inside of the pool part with heights so I can tell. It's the same as switching foods, you have to guage what the norm is for the new food before you can offer more or less.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jan

Thanks for your answer. I have 3 cats as well, so if the water did go down more than usual I would have to do further investigations to see which one of them it was - but at least I would be alerted to the potential problem.

I'm really torn on this one. I can see that's its healthier and probably persuades them to drink more, but monitoring how much the water goes down is a bit of an obsession with me, having had a CRF cat in the past. I'm not sure I'd feel happy not knowing. I suppose you have to keep an eye on them and how many times you actually catch them drinking.

Mine are all fed wet only food, to which I add about a dessert spoon of extra water anyway, and I hardly ever see them drink. I probably go into a complete panic if I bought a fountain and they all started drinking away for the fun and novelty of it! I'd have them all at the vet the next day. Guess I'm a worrier!
Dear Worrier,

I have one cat that just loves her water bottle "sipper" (the kind that is used in cages). It has measurements on the side. Since the others don't use it, I, at least, can an idea of any "water alert" for her.
Funny thing - I did get an "alert" one time, but didn't understand it - she stopped sipping - then I noticed her litter pan habits - took her to the vet - yes, she had a bladder infection - in fact 1 big stone in her bladder, and another forming - we had bladder surgery. Now, if she stops sipping, I'll know what may be happening.

I can't really tell they drink any more with the fountain. I do have several locations, and use bottled water. Also, I've noticed that my former "outside" cats prefer a bowl of water that is about 10 inches off the floor so they just sit and drink the water -- I use a stemmed flower bowl for their water.

I wonder if the OP's Simba is just trying to take a bath.
Otherwise, I read some good ideas here that would serve two purposes - keep the fountain in place, and contain the water.