Cat food toppers

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm headed to Petco later and was hoping to pick up a topper or two for my cats wet food trying to get him to eat anything but dry has been a pain. I would grind up his dry food to put on top of his wet but its so hard to grind it up. Was wondering if there was a specific couple of kinds that ya'll recommended for picky cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) i'll pick some up and cross my fingers.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freeze-dried raw like Stella and Chewy's or any other freeze dried meat treats like in the dog training section. Put them in a baggie and pound away with a book or a hammer. A coffee grinder would also work for this. Just keep it separate from one you might use with coffee to prevent cross-contamination--either coffee flavored meat treats or meat flavored coffee. 🤦‍♂️ 😹

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any freeze dried meat treat or freeze dried raw food. Place into a baggie and smash away with a heavy pot or any object you have on hand. I use a can of soup or veggies. This will work for dry food, too. The pieces don't have to be completely pulverized into powder.

FortiFlora also works well but can be a little too addicting to cats so it's best used when you have a sick inappetant cats.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purebite treats is just freeze-dried meat. My kitties go crazy over it! The minnow one has a strong fish scent and I crush it with my fingers over their food. The chicken flavor also works. They may have other flavors, but that is all I have tried.

For the dry food, have you tried mixing in whole pieces? That works with mine, too.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new to freeze dried....they can be warmed up right? My old man likes his food warm (he's quite picky)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm new to freeze dried....they can be warmed up right? My old man likes his food warm (he's quite picky)

Most people feed freeze dried treats and raw at room temperature. I suppose one can rehydrate the pieces with warm water or warm up in a microwave for a few seconds.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freeze-dried raw may contain ground bone. This is fine when eaten raw. But if you add water and microwave it, the bone can become brittle and splinter which is not good for a cat to consume. I would say it’s okay to add warm water to any freeze-dried. But don’t cook freeze-dried raw, e.g. don’t microwave it or add hot water to it.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I crumble freeze dried right on top of the wet food. My picky kitty goes wild for it.

Unless I try to feed her only freeze dried food, dry or rehydrated. Then it is slop :lol:

I would warm up the canned food then add the freeze dried on top after :)

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks yall :) so far he loves me crumbling up his dry and putting it on top but I also purchased some of the delectable and some freeze dried raw as well.