Cat food recommendation

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is a very picky eater the only one she likes most is fancy feast classic and sheba premium fine foods and loaf is it safe to feed this to her? I tried giving him all flavors of tiki cat ,varieties like pate,dark, and mousse but she only likes mackerel and tuna but if I feed it continously won't eat anymore. Tried giving her merrick, halo, blue buffalo, instinct, friskies wet food she doesn't like it much. Is fancy feast classic and sheba safe to feed to her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she eats petite cuisine but not the much only tuna flavor. She doesn't like as well brit, fancy feast gravy lovers, fancy feast medleys. The only thing she really likes eating is fancy feast classic, sheba fine food, and fancy feast broth

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Classic is a good food. Sheba Perfect Portions looks like a good food too. Others will disagree with me. But my qualifications for a good food are a simple recipe with few if any nonsense or dubious ingredients. A simple recipe is meat, moisture, organs, and supplements. Hopefully in that order. So a nonsense or dubious ingredient will be anything outside of that: grains and starches, fruits and vegetables (pumpkin is okay), and gums and thickeners. One gum is usually all that’s needed. Some foods have three or four. Hopefully that gum will be guar gum, the most benign of the gums. Avoid agar agar and carageenan. Xanthan gum is one to look out for. Xanthan gum makes smooth foods smooth. It can also make poops smooth to those sensitive to it. If your cat is having runny poop, check for xanthan gum in her food. Given all that, Fancy Feast Classic and Sheba both meet many of those requirements. Sheba has tapioca starch. You could do worse if that’s all that’s wrong with this recipe.

One more thing to watch for. I would avoid fish-based foods. Cats love fish! Often times to the exclusion of other foods. But fish is not an ideal protein for cats. It is also suspected in allergies and inflammation. My recommendation is to save fish flavors for emergencies: disguising medicine or getting a sick cat to eat. Exceptional times require exceptional measures. But if you feed fish on the regular, you lose that “nuclear option.”

The fish that is included in Fancy Feast Classic non-fish flavors like chicken and beef is okay. It’s more a flavoring than the protein source. Fish oil is okay too. Fish oil is the fat rather than the protein.

I would try to get your cat eating the chicken, turkey, or beef flavors of Fancy Feast Classic or Sheba Perfect Portions and save the fish flavors for emergencies. When you get outside of the Classic or Perfect Portions lines, the extra gimmicks like gravy or savory centers often come with unnecessary or nonsense ingredients.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have her whole life to feed her. You don’t have to get it right today. You may have to do a long transition to get her off the fish flavors—a testament to how addictive they can be. Maybe the first week or two, your diva will only tolerate a few non-fish bites mixed into her fish-based food. But if you do it slowly enough, you might be able to get her used to less and less fish over a long enough time that she won’t hunger strike from the start.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now Delilah is happiest with Sheba and Fancy Feast. Most of the other foods I've tried she'll eat once or twice and that's it.

I avoid giving her fish flavors. I've noticed whenever I give her fish, her stools are looser.