Cat food question

RobC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. When it comes to cat food my cat is more of a licker than a chewer. Whenever I give him wet food we usually licks the juices etc. We have tried, pate, shreds, etc.

Is there a cat food which is cut so small that even licking it he can get the protein? I was even considering pureeing his food.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Have his teeth been checked thoroughly by a vet to rule out any issues? Pain can be a common cause for cats licking at their food. For now, it might be worth adding some warm water to pate wet food to give it a more runny consistency he can lick up easily.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys are gravy lovers too. If I mix their pate with water into a thin slurry (and I mean mix it, not just add water) they will usually lick up the pate without too much complaint. They also like me adding a liquid topper like bone broth or actual marketed toppers to their food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby is a licker/lapper of canned foods, and will not eat chunks of meat, even if I smash them up as much as possible. So, I give her pate only and start by giving it to her in a pile. Once she has flattened it out, she stops eating it, so I re-scoop it back into a pile, and then she will resume eating. For a 3 oz can of food, which takes her about 2 hours to eat, I end up scooping it up at least 4 times.

I will add a bit of water as needed, but have also found out that the more soupy it becomes the less she is inclined to finish it, so I don't add much water at all. I am not sure about this 'balancing act' with her and whether or not it would apply to your little guy.

Tbh, pureeing it is about the same as serving the softer pates. And, at least for the foods I give Feeby, there are actually more calories in the pates than the ones that are chunks in gravy. May not be the case for all brands but has proven to be true for Fancy Feast which is Feeby's primary food source.

Btw, Feeby has no dental/teeth issues. This way of eating is 'just Feeby being Feeby'.