Cat food getting really expensive!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Hmmm, that stinks. I asked mine about Orijen and they heard of it but can't get it. I went into a PetSmart in London, and they didn't have any of the 3 brands (TOTW, CS, or Orijen).
Global Ryan's Pet Foods in London (there are 2...on Wellington across from the LHSC) has both TOTW and Orijen. I think they have some CS wet, but no dry when I checked. Petsmart has nothing in terms of grain-free....just the bigger name premiums. Drives me nuts when I go to the dog section and they have so much more.

For the OP....just think....for the price of one bag of food your current food, you can get a Costco membership (they do have good deals on somethings), plus access to a much cheaper food. The bags are quite big and will last you a while, so it's probably worth the trip too.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The constant price going up definitely was part of my choice in going raw. Although we had already switched from Nutro to TOTW--which is about $25 for a 15 lb here--and lasted me a good 10 weeks (they receive wet as well). I was feeding two cats wet/dry for $25.50 a month our raw bill will be about $12-$15 a month.

Leslie

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those who use costco cat food? what size bags does in come in and the prices if you wouldn't mind sharing?

i may possibly look into membership myself.. thxs

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It comes in 25lb bags for ~$16. A membership is $50. This is in Atlanta, GA.

I have two largish males and I only need one bag every 4 months or so. I calculated it out to see what I was paying per bag if I bought a membership (currently I go with a friend) and it worked out to $32.67/bag, or $8.17/month since a bag will last me 4 months.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The $50.00 membership comes with 2 cards so maybe you could even split the fee with someone. My husband loves that store, and even though I don't use the food (Kody eats raw and grainfree), we shop there almost every week.

Anne

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

It comes in 25lb bags for ~$16. A membership is $50. This is in Atlanta, GA.

I have two largish males and I only need one bag every 4 months or so. I calculated it out to see what I was paying per bag if I bought a membership (currently I go with a friend) and it worked out to $32.67/bag, or $8.17/month since a bag will last me 4 months.
Thanks, we went to costco yesterday, joined.. i bought a bag of the food cost me 16$ for 20lbs VERY reasonable... i am hoping it works as it is a very cost effective choice for us.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diamond Naturals is a good food for the price if you can find it locally. I think it's made by the same people who make Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild (and Kirkland/Costco) food.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I spend $212 per month on the farm cats, but then i'm 16 thus don't have to pay for much else.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Costco (closest one is 120 miles away
), but Sam's club will sell you a day pass for a few dollars ($5 maybe? I'm not positive). If you got a day pass and stocked up once or twice a year, that would be cheaper than a full membership. If Costco offers day passes.

I wish Sam's Club had decent cat food. They have a fairly decent dog food (not nearly as good a Kirkland, but not awful) but no comparable cat formula.

Maybe it would be worth it for me to go to Costco once or twice a year just to buy dog and cat food. I'd have to bring a larger vehicle, though.....

Edit: I found this info on the Costco website: "You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Non-members may use the cash cards to shop in the warehouse or online" So if you could get a friend with a membership to buy you a Cash Card, it sounds like you could use it to shop there.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you go to Costco, wear blinders!
My biggest problem is coming out of there for under $200. It's even worse if hubby is with me. I get to the checkout and find all sorts of things I would never have bought if I had been alone.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If you go to Costco, wear blinders!
My biggest problem is coming out of there for under $200. It's even worse if hubby is with me. I get to the checkout and find all sorts of things I would never have bought if I had been alone.
LOL...that is true....the food may be cheaper....but the actual trip will quite likely cost you a lot (you mean you DIDN'T want a 4 litre jar of olives or a box of 50 chocolate bars?)!