Cat food allergies and Fortiflora

Pete's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience using cat fortiflora for a cat that is allergic to beef, fish and chicken? I can't seem to get confirmation from the vet or Purina on whether it is safe to give to my cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The source of the animal digest can be any animal so I would err on the side of caution and not use it. What do you need the FortiFlora for? If it's for the probiotic properties, you can use another product instead. You can even use Human probiotics but at an obviously much smaller dose daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pete's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has very loose stools on the kangaroo wet food he eats. I'm trying to find out if Purina hydrolyzed the animal protein in it, in which case it would be safe for him.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if the animal digest is hydrolyzed or not. If Purina doesn't have an answer for you, then I wouldn't use it just in case. Any probiotic product can help with the loose stools, not just FortiFlora. Could the food itself be causing the loose stools? Some cats are sensitive to food and can have loose stools.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this on the 'All About Cats' web site:
"FortiFlora has flavoring in the form of animal digest (a hydrolyzed pork/poultry ingredient now called “liver flavor”)...". FortiFlora Probiotic For Cats: Overview, Dosage & Side Effects - All About Cats. This particular article was written by Dr. Chris Vanderhoof, DVM, MPH and was updated 3/22/2022. I suppose you could reach out to them and ask their source for this information.

I do know that FortiFlora did change the ingredient listing from 'animal 'digest' to 'liver flavor' some time ago - probably because of the 'stigma' behind using the words animal digest.