Cat Fluoxetine nightmares?

Purrito Supreme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet prescribed my female cat Luna (8yo) fluoxetine 5mg because she kept getting Uti's and is pretty high strung. So far it's been great, no new Uti's unless I have to take her into the vet for other reasons(that stresses her out too much and causes one). She's been on the medication for a year or so. The past few months though she has been waking up and meowing loudly then just going back to sleep. I've read that prozac can cause nightmares or sleep disruption in humans, can this happen to cats as well or have any of you experienced this with your pets? Otherwise she's fine. Eats, drinks, and uses the litterbox normally. At first it was just every once in a while, but now it's multiple times a day. She's fine otherwise.

Also, when she was first prescribed she was about 16lbs. She's now about 9lbs and is on 2.5mg daily down from 5mg. No new weight loss.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I don't know about the other questions, but is she supposed to weigh 9 pounds?

Have you told the vet about the increase in sleep disruption?

What is she being fed? Is she drinking water at all-- you said normally?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely mention all this to your Vet. It's possible there is another medication that might work well and not have any side effects for Luna. That is a drastic weight loss for one year's time unless you were consciously trying to make her lose and even then it's quite a lot. They need to know about this, particular if it wasn't planned.