Cat Fight!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woke up this lovely Halloween morning to Casper and Cocoa having serious words with each other.  

They are friends. I don't think I've heard the kind of noises coming out of them ever, in the 4 years Cocoa has been with the family.  It was outside the bathroom as I was getting ready. Came out of the shower to hear all hell breaking loose outside the door.  My finance came running from a dead sleep, followed them downstairs to make sure everything was ok.  

Neither was hurt but Cocoa was acting really annoyed and weary about Casper's presence.  Once we broke out breakfast they seemed to forget about it, thankfully.

I think what happened is we removed Casper's collar over the weekend (he'd been hospitalized Friday night and they needed to remove it)  and couldn't figure out how to put it back on yesterday (he was due for a new one anyway).  So, he's been stealthy and quiet since no tags are jangling on him.

Is it possible in the dark they just didn't recognize each other due to him not being able to alert her?  Do you think she may have thought he was an intruder?  It certainly sounded mostly like her making all the sounds.

All seems ok now - it's been nearly 1/2 hour and both are relaxed.  Just trying to figure out what the issue is and wanted someone elses viewpoint on the situation.

quizzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If neither one got hurt, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Our two siblings love each other, but still "argue" sometimes. Once in a while Luke takes play-fighting too far and Leia gets mad at him, but they both get over it in a few minutes. (They've never hurt each other.)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
 It's scary when that happens.  The collar sounds like the most likely offender - the thing that is different is usually the thing that caused it.  The fact Casper had been to the vet is disorientating and causes problems.. did Cocoa have any issues when Casper returned?

The other thing is redirected aggression, but really , I'd tend to go with the collar thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's scary when that happens.  The collar sounds like the most likely offender - the thing that is different is usually the thing that caused it.  The fact Casper had been to the vet is disorientating and causes problems.. did Cocoa have any issues when Casper returned?

The other thing is redirected aggression, but really , I'd tend to go with the collar thing.
They were ok with each other when he got home. He definitely would have smelled different then, since he was kept overnight and they had to shave him to get an IV into him.  She did a quick sniff over when he got back but there was no aggression at that time.

This was well over 24 hours later.  I'd consider it redirected aggression because of not hearing him approach her.  They do tend to have little play battles in front of the bathroom door when someone is in there and at first I thought that was what was going on but then omg the noises coming out of Cocoa were bone chilling!  We had an instance of redirected aggression once between them when an intruder cat appeared at the back door they were both looking out of.  She lashed out at poor Casper and cut into his cornea.  Luckily this time nobody got harmed.  

We put the collar back on him when we left this morning. Neither was acting out of the ordinary by the time we left so I think it's completely over between them, whatever it was!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So a bit of both then... redirected aggression caused by lack of collar.

I hope all goes smoothly now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So a bit of both then... redirected aggression caused by lack of collar.

I hope all goes smoothly now.
We found one of her claws near his ear tonight. How we missed it this morning I have no idea. It wasn't embedded, no cuts, tear or puncture. She must have broken it off when she lashed out at him.

He's jangling now LOL. I expect no more of that craziness