Cat fic again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's purified drinking water. But hopefully if its allowed I feed her rx and wet food because I have so much wet food . She may have to be on rx if I want to avoid vet visits 😭

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well the litter box is low . No idea if she has arthritis because I see her jump on the bed when I have steps for her. Is jug water OK?
I give her d mannose . I don't know if things are stressful because it's quiet and she relax all day. I gave her tons of scratches too
How many boxes do you have? You should have one per cat plus one OR if you have multiple floors, one per floor of your home.

I would say jumping onto the bed is not a good huge of arthritis pain. Nobel has moderately advanced arthritis and he refuses to use his stairs. Definitely make sure she has a couple of litters.

What type of litter do you use? I don't recommend clay for FLUTD.

Something low on dust is helpful. Usually paper or corn. Some people have good luck with wheat or tofu based litter.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 1 cat and a small apartment. What kitty litter do you recommend that's budget friendly. Im going to need a budget friendly because of the cost of her food now

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it's purified drinking water. But hopefully if its allowed I feed her rx and wet food because I have so much wet food . She may have to be on rx if I want to avoid vet visits 😭
For food, you can get Urinary cat food at the store that's a little less expensive. I use Purina urinary wet. There's also a Purina urinary dry.

I would recommend to talk to your vet about:
1. Pain medication like medicam
2. Potentially anxiety medication. It has shown good results with FIC/FLUTD

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 1 cat and a small apartment. What kitty litter do you recommend that's budget friendly. Im going to need a budget friendly because of the cost of her food now
It depends what country you are in. Usually the alternatives to clay last a bit longer than any litter so it was more money upfront but you don't spend it as often.

Arm and Hammer corn litter
Exquisite Cat makes a few clay-free litters
I use Okocat litter
Catit litter is good too. The unscented one.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I found out this fancy feast beef and liver is Urinary support. But I may have to break the bank and get rx. I'm going to call my vet recommendations because I want my cat with best care.

For food, you can get Urinary cat food at the store that's a little less expensive. I use Purina urinary wet. There's also a Purina urinary dry.

I would recommend to talk to your vet about:
1. Pain medication like medicam
2. Potentially anxiety medication. It has shown good results with FIC/FLUTD

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I found out this fancy feast beef and liver is Urinary support. But I may have to break the bank and get rx. I'm going to call my vet recommendations because I want my cat with best care.
If your cat doesn't have stones, the RX shouldn't be necessary. The RX is for dissolving stones. Once a year has passed on RX, most cats can maintain on the "over the counter" urinary diets as they are lower in phosphorus and magnesium and such that cause stones, so new stones don't form.

The 'over the counter'urinary foods also usually contain blueberry or cranberry or make the Ph of the urine high so bacteria can't survive.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So will my cat food that she eats that helps maintain Urinary care should help?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So will my cat food that she eats that helps maintain Urinary care should help?
That depends: did the vet tell you she has stones? Or is it reoccurring infection?

What is the food?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Recurring infections and I have pro purina wet food for Urinary care and I read beef and liver fancy feast helps that too

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Recurring infections and I have pro purina wet food for Urinary care and I read beef and liver fancy feast helps that too
Yes the Purina has citric acid to raise the PH level of the urine.

I would consider switching litter first. Nobel had many flare ups due to litter that had nothing to do with food.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is purina bad or good?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is purina bad or good?
I suppose that depends on who you ask and their views on what is healthy for cats.

I use the Purina Urinary for Nobel and he hasn't had any infection while on it. Each cat is different.

You want something to raise the PH in whatever urinary food you settle on.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So raising is good? I though a raise is bad?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is stubborn and won't eat her prescription food . How do I prevent this issue. I'm scared this will be a 3 monthly thing 😭

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have three cats with kidney/FIC/FLUTD issues and I really had to experiment with the food. They are notorious for refusing almost any prescription food. Royal Canin Urinary dry (which is not a prescription) has been the most well received. After that came the Royal Canin prescription dry food. No wet food has been accepted; the closest has been the ProPlan Urinary Tract Health.

Yes, I realize you could spend a fortune trying out these various food, only to end up with a lot of left over cat food.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has royal canin prescription food. But I think she's sick of it. I have the pickiest stubborn eater. She's a pain sometimes 😩

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you ever try pure D-Mannose to see if that might help with reducing the chances of an infection? I think I said before, many types of bacteria adhere to the D-Mannose molecules and are flushed out of the bladder with urination, thereby reducing the chances of building up enough to cause an actual infection.

The urinary care foods are more geared to helping reduce the odds of crystal formation or adjusting urine PH balance. If these are not conditions that are applicable to your cat, then it is likely less crucial that you stick to specifically urinary tract care foods. You really need to know all the particulars about your cat's urine tests. Nonetheless, here are some listings of other urinary tract foods for you to consider.
11 Best Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Health 2022 - Reviews & Top Picks - Excited Cats
The 7 Best Cat Foods for Urinary Tract Health in 2022 (thesprucepets.com)
Best 5 Urinary Cat Food: Benefits, Reviews, and Ingredient Analysis - Veterinarians.org