Cat Fences

missamy018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't really sure where to post this, so hopefully here is okay!

I am in the process of getting a cat fence so my cats can go outside safely. What I already know if that I'm going to get the Purrfect Fence conversion system. So I have to decide what kind of fence I'm going to get to put that conversion system on. We have to have a privacy fence because of the neighbors. Wood splits and rots, and I figure they will go around spraying and/or peeing on it to mark their turf, which will probably further the damage or hold the smell. Vinyl seems flimsy and gets moldy. I found a composite fence at Lowes called Woodshades ( http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1#BVRRWidgetID ) and it looks super nice and feels very sturdy. It even comes with a 20 year limited warranty. However, it only comes in one height - 5'9". Purrfect Fence says that their system works on fences 5ft and over. I wanted a fence to be at LEAST 6ft, but would prefer 7ft or 8ft. I'm going to be forking out thousands of dollars on this and I want to be sure they actually can't get out of it. What do you guys think? I wonder if they could get out of the 5'9". Does anyone have any experience or thoughts to share?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat fence set atop a 6 foot privacy fence which is set atop concrete footing, which is several inches high. We have had no escapes since early on, when my "gymnast wannabe" would scale tree limbs and escape. Once those were trimmed back, we've been good X5.5 years now.

As for the longevity of wood...our fence is 16 years old (red cedar). We are at the point now where occasional boards must be replaced, but nothing major at all. We never sealed the fence either. Cedar naturally repels odor, so if anyone has been spraying the fence, I have not smelled it.

It's important to choose a cat fence which will repel incoming animals as well as keep yours in. Ours has been breached twice by neighbor cats ,but our dogs scared them away and that was that. It has kept out any and all raccoon, possums, etc.

As for your fence height, you could always add a 6 inch concrete footing and all would be golden. That would prevent any digging out as well.

Good luck, and congratulations. Cat fences are really nice to have!

Cally

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but ... would there be any building codes on how high you can build the fence?

Where we live, I think 7 feet is the max - we live in earthquake country, and on sand (desert), so our quakes usually roll and our block wall may not survive anything over the code requirements??

Have you seen this company?
http://www.catfencein.com/index.php

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just curious as to why you don't just buy the Purrrfect fence system and install that? Why do you feel that you have to have a wood fence and just install the purrfect fence top? I bought the whole fence from the ground up and am very pleased with it. If I had wood I would be worried they would dig out on the bottom. I have it and love it heres a pic.Its attached to the side of my house and the picnic table is right up to the window which I leave open for them. They do come in by 8ish at nite and the window is shut.. Its guarenteed for 10 years.So for the price I feel its well worth it

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gardencats - I just love your yard and I have never seen that type of fencing before. I would love to have something like that and have been considering some kind of enclosure for my cats to be able to go outside for some fresh air and bird watching!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missamy018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I'm just curious as to why you don't just buy the Purrrfect fence system and install that? Why do you feel that you have to have a wood fence and just install the purrfect fence top? I bought the whole fence from the ground up and am very please with it. If I had wood I would be worried they would dig out on the bottom. I have it and love it heres a pic.Its attached to the side of my house and the picnic table is right up to the window which I leave open for them. They do come it by 8ish at nite and the window is shut.. Its guareented for 10 years.So for the price I feel its well worth it
I wish I could just get the Purrfect fence, that would make life easier! But, I have to have the privacy fence because of the neighbors, mostly. They are very anal about anything done and they're nosey AND I don't want them to see how many cats I have. I have to have the privacy fence also to help keep my dogs from barking at the neighbors. The dogs are another reason I can't have the Purrfect fence. I've read that the Purrfect fence can be broken by dogs. One half of the yard will be for the dogs and one half for the cats, split in the middle with chain link. Kitty section will be about 110ft x 50ft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missamy018

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I have a cat fence set atop a 6 foot privacy fence which is set atop concrete footing, which is several inches high. We have had no escapes since early on, when my "gymnast wannabe" would scale tree limbs and escape. Once those were trimmed back, we've been good X5.5 years now.
Concrete footing sounds like it might be a good idea! I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by GloriaJH

I don't know where you live, but ... would there be any building codes on how high you can build the fence?

Where we live, I think 7 feet is the max - we live in earthquake country, and on sand (desert), so our quakes usually roll and our block wall may not survive anything over the code requirements??
We have an 8ft max where I live, I believe. I'm planning to find out for sure about it tomorrow.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its called the Purrrfect Fence for cats. Google it or ,actually the cat site has a ad for it click the link. What I think makes it more cat proof then wood is that it is not stable for the cats at all. If they do start to climb its wiggly very wiggly.They don't like that feeling so they jump right off..I have yet to see them even get close to the top.And if they did the arms would tip down and dump them. They don't even attempt to climb it .
I have 6 cats, 4 are Siamese good climbers and they never try to climb.Its funny its just the two Persians that ever try and thats only if a leave or moth gets close. And they are just a little over a year old so more playfull. My newest Siamese who is 6 months doesn't try to climb it. It folds out onto the ground about a foot and stakes so they can not get out and nothing can bet in. They claim the material was made to keep running deer out of gardens!
It sure has given me peace of mind and the cats access to the outside and keeps them happy.