Cat Fell From Balcony

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

For some background, my cat is a little over 7 months old, so still not full grown. We have an indoor balcony in our two-story house, where the upstairs hall looks down over the living room. My cat likes to walk alongside the edge. It's about 15 feet high, no higher than 20.

About an hour and a half ago, she fell off, 15-20 feet down to the floor. I barely saw what happened, but I think she landed on her feet. She didn't seem stunned, and ran away immediately. I think she was more shocked by the fact that I screamed (I have a kind of quiet voice and I don't think she's never heard me raise it) than by the fall. I went after her, and she let me pet her and jumped up on the couch to eat some treats.

I've been keeping an eye on her since then. She ran up the stairs a couple of times, jumped up on the windowsill to stalk flies, ate some food, isn't limping, etc. She'll lie down on the floor now and then, but it's normal for her to find random places to lie when she's bored or on gloomy days like today when she's looking for someplace warm to nap. Right now she's upstairs napping.

She's always been pretty resilient, but you never know, especially with cats. My question is, since she's eating, running around, jumping, etc., are there any signs I should watch out for? Or is it something I shouldn't even worry about?

I'm sorry if I sound like a nervous basketcase, but this is my first indoor cat and I worry. (Somehow the barn cats seem invincible.)
Thank you very much for your help.

35243.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Two side notes... I can't take her to the vet just like that. Thanks to Covid, they're closed for anything but emergencies, and I also know our vet. He would just tell me to keep an eye on her. Most of the cats they deal with are farm cats who have been through far worse than a 15-20 foot fall, so they won't let me in on mere paranoia.

Second side note... I have thought about getting some sort of a gate, but putting up a barrier will just encourage her to jump on the slippery railing instead, and I can't see any way around that.
Thank you very much again for your help.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your help! I'll look at those links.