Cat family taking up residence on my porch!

misplacedhippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The most important thing that you can do for these cats, along with feeding them, is to get them spayed and netured. Not only will they be happier and healthier for it, but they will live longer as well. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want you to get the wrong idea!

Jews are very kind to animals! I grew up with pets and at every meal their bowl was filled before we sat down to eat. According to religious law, you can not let an animal suffer which is why we have such strict kosher laws. We must be as humane as possible. Thus is also one of the reasons w do not eat meat and milk together because we don't want the animal to "see" it's child being cooked in its milk.
But I think people here are ignorant to the pain and suffering of street cats. And therefore ignore them.
There is also a belief that having an animal on the home is dirty and you can't make a blessing in front of them. (Only in ultra orthodox communities) I personally think Sophie is a pretty clean cat!

Additionaly, it is against jewish law to alter an animal. We get around it by "selling" the animal to a non Jew for the proceedure and then "buying" it back after. But some people are stricter about female animals (Im not sure the exact reason).

But overall, we do go out of our way to ensure that animals do not suffer.

Again, it's ignorance of the true suffering of street cats that makes people not do anything. If they knew how much pain these animals were in, I believe a lot more would be done and quicker!

Just so you know the extent of our respect for animals. My son spent his entire first horseback riding session learning about how to be compassionate to the horses. (He was ticked that he couldn't get on the horse right away lol but it's important to respect the creatures that we share this planet with)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've also learned a long time ago that "religious does not equal religion". Meaning not all religious people are good and not all non relious people are bad.
Individual people do not define a religion. It resonates deep here in Israel where tensions can be high but I remind myself and my children all the time that just because you are a certain religion doesn't make you good or bad. All people are people and they make decisions (good or bad) no matter what religion. (I will admit that it's harder when we're in the bomb shelter but that has only happened a handful of times)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww!

Thank you for the kind words and support! I dont think I can change an entire country's mindset towards cats, but hopefully I can help a few cats in a small town.
My grandmother told me (she had a wealth of these stories)  that she once spoke with a raindrop who thought he could never make a difference, and later ran into him when he had become part of the ocean.  Each little drop makes a difference.  You don't know how this will effect others down the line,.