Cat Facts

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I'm sure we all know that all tri colours are female....
There are actually 3 ways a male cat can be tri colour or tortoishell.... and they are not all infertile.

1) XXY Syndrome - where a male cat has a genetic anomaly and has an extra X chromosome - normal males are XY. If one X has the orange gene and the other has the non-orange gene, then the male cat will show both black and red in its coat. They are all infertile without exception - there is absolutely no way that any individual with an odd number of chromosomes can produce fertile sperm or ova.

2) Chimerism - where 2 foetuses fuse in the uterus at an early stage of development. If a male and a femal foetus fuse, the resulting cat is XXXY genetically, and can be tortoishell, provided it has both orange and non-orange genes on its combination of X chromosomes. These males have an even number of chromosomes, and are usually fertile. They can produce either black or red offspring.

3) Somatic Mosaicism - best described as birthmarks. The male cat is genetically either red or black, is fertile, but can only pass on either the orange or the non-orange gene. The appearance would be patches of red and black (as in a calico) rather than brindled. This is common in some Rex lines, and really it's the exact same thing as a human having a port wine stain birthmark.

And some red cat facts:

Although in the cat fancy the colour is known as red, the gene that causes it is referred to by geneticists as the orange gene, causing untold confusion to cat owners about the correct terminology!

Contrary to popular belief, cat colour is NOT sex linked - the only sex linked feature of cat colouration is whether the cat produces red pigment instead of black/brown pigment. A red cat still has black/brown genetics, but cannot produce the correct pigment to express those colours. A cat which has black base genetics and the orange gene is usually a very slightly darker shade of red than a red cat whos base genetics are for a brown/chocolate coat - however this is rarely noticeable to the naked eye.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

So, what would happen if we stick a slice of toast with butter to a cat's back and we throw it to the air? The cat, by law, will land on its feet, but the toast, (by law too) will land on the butter's side. Against this problem of physics laws, the nature chooses the best (and laziest, I think) way of taking a solution: the cat may just not fall.
The cat with the toast, once it's free in the air, will float at its cat-toast equilibrium point, where butter repulsion forces and cat forces are in balance. This point can be adjusted by removing some butter from the toast, adding it, or cutting some hairs from the cat. In theory, this will cause the cat to remain stationary, however, in reality, due to varied nature of gravity and the non-uniform profile of Earth, the cat will simply spin around its center of gravity at ever-increasing speed.

In fact, most civilized species in the universe already use this principle in order to build their UFO's. Thus, the buzzing that you can hear when you see an UFO is actually the purr from the cats.

True story.
Um, what?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

So, what would happen if we stick a slice of toast with butter to a cat's back and we throw it to the air? The cat, by law, will land on its feet, but the toast, (by law too) will land on the butter's side. Against this problem of physics laws, the nature chooses the best (and laziest, I think) way of taking a solution: the cat may just not fall.
The cat with the toast, once it's free in the air, will float at its cat-toast equilibrium point, where butter repulsion forces and cat forces are in balance. This point can be adjusted by removing some butter from the toast, adding it, or cutting some hairs from the cat. In theory, this will cause the cat to remain stationary, however, in reality, due to varied nature of gravity and the non-uniform profile of Earth, the cat will simply spin around its center of gravity at ever-increasing speed.

In fact, most civilized species in the universe already use this principle in order to build their UFO's. Thus, the buzzing that you can hear when you see an UFO is actually the purr from the cats.

True story.
Oh, good. I was afraid we wouldn't get any actual, verifiable, facts.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is supposed to be funny..lol Cats and buttered toast together can generate anit-gravity.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that 98-99% torties are female & 85% orange tabbies are male.
The tabby pattern is the most common coat pattern in wild cats. Tigers are striped tabbies, leopards are spotted tabbies & the lion is a tabby agouti. Most coat colors in domestic cats have a tabby pattern except white.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little girl must be a little weird cause she dont really like milk at all. She would much rather have a big drink of fresh cold water. I dont mind tho for i love milk leaves more for mommy lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf

My little girl must be a little weird cause she dont really like milk at all. She would much rather have a big drink of fresh cold water. I dont mind tho for i love milk leaves more for mommy lol
Some cats like milk, others don't.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite a lot of humans are lactose intolerant too (I was as a child, but can drink it now), and even watered down cat milk can cause issues in cats. Milk is actually a food for them not a drink, so intake needs to be monitored.