Cat eye problem! Please read it. I'm very scared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! You sound like you are doing a great job with him until you can get him back to the vet! It is also great that he is eating and acting normally. If you have a cone, you might consider putting it on him if you can't watch him all the time. They are no fun, but better than letting him bug it when you aren't able to watch him. Hang in there!
We really can’t know for sure. I wish we could but it kind of does sound like what we have described. If the eyelids were pink after using the first bottle, there is a chance it was contaminated and the conjunctivitis (pink eye) had already started. Those drops may not help that at all or even irritate it more. Pink eye makes your eye feel like it has sand in it, it kind of burns and is just generally uncomfortable. A new kind of medicine may be needed. If you get a new ointment or drops, be careful not to touch the tip of the applicator directly to his eye so it won’t get contaminated. It’s a little tricky but it will make him feel better if that’s what is going on. Eating and drinking and otherwise acting okay is a good sign. Just keep reassuring him and keep loving him. I’ve had a kitty with a scratched eye too and I know we worry but cats are very tough. My kitty recovered and I’m sure your kitty will too after getting such loving care from you.
Do you have any plain Claritin (loratadine) at home? You could give him 1/2 tablet smashed in wet food to help with the allergic response.
I took him to the vet yesterday. He said my cat has rubbed his eye roughly because he got itching sensation after I gave him the eyedrops that day. The outer layer of the cornea got irritated badly so his eye was swollen. He said if he rubs like that again there will be only 50-50 chances to save his eye. He told me to put an e-collar and don't remove it till the wound heals. He gave him some shots and changed the eye drops. Gave two sets of eye drops..one for conjunctivitis and another for dry eyes. Both should be administered 5 times a day. And an Oral antibiotic medicine two times a day. He opened his eye now but his face is little swollen and pink near the eye. I thought he was sleeping under the blanket that day. If I have seen it I could have stopped him from doing so. This wouldn't have happened. I'm not removing the e-collar now. I kept his bed in a crate and locked him up inside. My boy, he never liked crate and collar. He's little upset.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww. I am so sorry he rubbed his eye but you are doing exactly what he needs to heal. I know the collar and crate aren’t what he wants but they are what he needs. He will be a very happy kitty when his eye stops hurting and this is all done.Once his eye is fully recovered and he no longer has the irritation, he should be okay. If he has dry eyes he may need the drops to keep from scratching it again but he is well on his way to healing. Thank goodness you saw the inflammation and got him the needed care. You are a wonderful and loving cat guardian! Please do keep us updated.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said nothing about the eyedrops. He gave those eye drops for the corneal ulcer before. He said the medicine will stop working after a month but nothing will happen because of that. My cat rubbed his eye roughly after I gave him the drops. The outer layer of the cornea got irritated and his eye got swollen because of that. It's terrifying to even hear what he has done to his eye.
You said something about the lesion to heal. Can you please elaborate it in detail. I'm sorry I literally have no idea about it.
Well, meds may differ one from the other, but some eye drops, even for human, expire rapidly once the vial is open. Other can last much longer.
My cat Tom had to take eye drops and creams four times a day. I remember he had three different medicine to take four times a day in his eye, about 10-15 minutes spaced among them. Just imagine how long that medication was, especially for an outdoor cat that might or might not show up at the needed time and wouldn't want to stay with me for the length of time necessary to apply all the meds every day. Plus the antibiotic pills... for about 10 days, if I remember it right.
All the meds had to be stored in the fridge. I would to take them out the fridge a few minutes before using them.

What happened to Tom was that during the healing process of the outer layer of his eye, this very thin tissue was growing from the external side of the eye (eyelids) to the center, and as it was growing it could become bothersome, so he might have pawed at his eye.
I remember the ophthalmologist milling the eye surface with a precision tool and then this drop of blood serum to apply once or twice a day.

Apart from this, my memories are a bit hazy, it happened 8 years ago... Those meds and eye drops are still in the fridge, kind of a memorial to that wonderful and friendly cat who passed away later that year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, meds may differ one from the other, but some eye drops, even for human, expire rapidly once the vial is open. Other can last much longer.
My cat Tom had to take eye drops and creams four times a day. I remember he had three different medicine to take four times a day in his eye, about 10-15 minutes spaced among them. Just imagine how long that medication was, especially for an outdoor cat that might or might not show up at the needed time and wouldn't want to stay with me for the length of time necessary to apply all the meds every day. Plus the antibiotic pills... for about 10 days, if I remember it right.
All the meds had to be stored in the fridge. I would to take them out the fridge a few minutes before using them.

What happened to Tom was that during the healing process of the outer layer of his eye, this very thin tissue was growing from the external side of the eye (eyelids) to the center, and as it was growing it could become bothersome, so he might have pawed at his eye.
I remember the ophthalmologist milling the eye surface with a precision tool and then this drop of blood serum to apply once or twice a day.

Apart from this, my memories are a bit hazy, it happened 8 years ago... Those meds and eye drops are still in the fridge, kind of a memorial to that wonderful and friendly cat who passed away later that year.
I discussed about what you have said to my vet. He told me to wait and use the antibiotic and lubricant drops instead. It's been 15 days since I'm using them. I waited enough. His lesion is not healing. And he's wearing the collar since then. His lesion looks like a grayish spot on the upper layer of his cornea. I strongly feel the blood serum drops you suggested will help. But these people are not helping me. Sorry for the late reply. My another cat was feeling very sick for the past few days. I'm not able to reply you.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fear that waiting too long can create a chronic situation in your cat's eye and the "scar" might be permanent.
You really need to see a different vet and hope they are able to follow and help you as they should.

I'm sorry for your other cat, I hope he/she is feeling better now.