Cat Extremely Thirsty, Sick In Stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What’s been your experience on how frequently you must do these injections, realizing that every case is different, of course?

Monthly?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some have them as often as several times a week, at which point you REALLY want to be doing this at home! But some only need it occasionally. It really does run the gamut, scheduling-wise.

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s doing a bit better today, in that he’s not under the bed all day, like yesterday.
Some have them as often as several times a week, at which point you REALLY want to be doing this at home! But some only need it occasionally. It really does run the gamut, scheduling-wise.
The website run by the authority figure says the stuff isn’t that expensive. Here’s hoping she’s right.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is far, far less expensive that taking them in, that's for sure! You'll just have to shop around for the amounts you need, etc, to get the best deal, if it becomes necessary!

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The most significant thing I learned today, thanks to this website (and confirmed by what my vet said today), is that “your cat is in renal failure” is not an automatic instant death sentence. With proper diet and treatment and monitoring, your fur baby can have a lot more time before The Rainbow Bridge.

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My quest, like others, is to determine why this is so common in cats.
Dry food?

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food?
Many people believe this yes. My first two cats passed away aged 9 and 10 of CKD and personally I blame a preference for dry food combined with poor drinking habits. The research within the feline world is of pretty poor quality and mostly funded by the Pet Food Companies, who try and point the finger at everything apart from their terrible food. In the human world there's a lot of research into epidemic levels of chronic kidney disease amongst farm labourers in Central America and the prevailing belief is that it's caused by chronic dehydration, which is what I believe was the cause in my two cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's good information here about sub-q fluids, what health issues it is used for, the different types of fluids (your vet will prescribe the correct one), and how to give it: Subcutaneous Fluids – IBDKitties Your vet will tell you how often to give the fluids and how much fluid each time based on your cat's condition.

Dry food can cause kidney disease in some cats. A diet that lacks water makes it hard for the kidney to flush out waste products from the concentrated blood. Blood and urine are like 95% water. Genetics is also a reason for some cats.

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will this weight loss ever stop? My goodness. Maybe after his overnight at the hospital it will help, getting the fluids restored.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dry food?
I think that in many, if not most, cats, dry food is certainly a huge contributing cause or factor. Especially in younger cats. In older cats...it doesn't help a thing, but at some point in any living creature's life, the systems begin to break down. It is what a doctor friend of mine referred to as the "J. P. Frog" syndrome..."Just Plain (you can guess what the "F" stands for) Ran Out of Gas."

Many cats have horrible drinking habits. Comes from being descended from desert wild cats who got 95% of their liquid from prey. Those cats are going to be more at risk than those like Hekitty, who suck back water like a camel in August. LOL, I took Hekitty repeatedly to the vet to check for diabetes, as her weight is high, and she drinks so much. Finally, the vet looked at me and said, "You know, we do this twice a year. She's NOT diabetic, not near it. She's just fat and thirsty. If she starts losing weight without a dietary change, we'll test her again." (although that is part of her annual wellness check).

Once you have him stabilized, the weight loss should stop, and he should begin to gain a bit back.

• Purraise
Reactions: Saf

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi Dale001, my cat's weight has been stable since he was diagnosed. I have trouble getting him to gain weight, but he's almost 18 and now also has ibd/lymphoma. I think since your cat is much younger, he'll put weight back on once his kidney levels are stable.

I hate that my vet that diagnosed my cat with CKD called it renal failure, makes you think your cat has months left but I know of cat on another forum for CKD that lived 10 years after diagnosis.

Your cat will be ok, just get regular check ups and address vomiting or nausea symptoms with meds like pepcid ac and cerenia. If you use those and he's still not eating, ask for an appetite stimulant. Diet is really important, you could feed a prescription diet or lower phosphourous food, and may need a binder like phos-bind depending on his numbers.

Just take things day by day and know they will improve. My cat went from hiding under the bed for a few days, not eating to being 100% back to normal slowly within a week or two

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you use prescription food or over the counter?
Did your vet give your cat meds?
And how many times do you have to give your cat fluids at home?

I guess I’ll find out those answers today when I speak with the local vet, after he’s done at the hospital.

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds familiar to everyone here, almost, either from our own cats, or those we know here. He could easily live out a fairly normal life span if you get him stabilized and keep after his symptoms as soon as something shows up! One of my neighbors recently lost her "kidney cat" at aged 18. He was diagnosed at age 10, and it was NOT the kidney disease that he succumbed to.

Probably not. There are many, MANY cats here who get regular or occasional sub-cutaneous fluids at home. The procedure is fairly simple, and I'm sure you can master it if necessary! I have a couple of people here in mind if you ever need some tech tips (size of needles, etc).

Keep letting us know what is happening, if you will. We're now invested in Chaplin, and will worry.
Thank you much.

Should I ask for 20 gage needles? The smaller the better?
I see where B vitamins, B-12 is important.
Do any of you get the liquid kind and just put a few drops in the cat’s water dish?

Chappie spent the night at the ER facility, getting IV fluids. I’m waiting for a 10 a.m. call from the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't want thin gauge needles. It might sound like they would cause less pain but the needle is so thin that it will take forever for fluids to get into the cat. You want 18 or 20 gauge needles. Think of it like a gallon of water flowing out of a garden hose versus a drinking straw. Water is obviously going to flow through the garden hose faster than through a drinking straw. Cats really don't notice an 18 gauge needle at all.

I'd ask the vet specifically about B12 ad whether it would be helpful or not. Yes, there are OTC B12 supplements you can buy but they may not be the correct type or strength for your cat's needs. Most vet will prescribe injectable cyanocobalamin. There may be a pill or compounded version that you can use if you aren't comfortable with injections.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you much.

Should I ask for 20 gage needles? The smaller the better?
I see where B vitamins, B-12 is important.
Do any of you get the liquid kind and just put a few drops in the cat’s water dish?

Chappie spent the night at the ER facility, getting IV fluids. I’m waiting for a 10 a.m. call from the vet.
I found 21 the best. Bigger than that's a bit uncomfortable for the cat. Did you just post on Tanya's kidney site support forum? I posted on it earlier to give away my supplies and saw a Dale had posted a message about IV fluids. It's best to do a proper introduction with a brief background and all the numbers from his blood and urine samples, so make sure to get a copy of them as it's difficult to give any help without seeing them. People will be able to give you a better idea of what sort of stage he's at.

B12 jabs are particularly important if he's starting to become anaemic. You give them in the port of a giving set whilst administering fluids. It can help with his appetite but the go to medication for that is mirtazapine.

Edit: I missed your intro, glad you've got some people helping you - Ro in particular is really good at interpreting blood results.

Last edited:

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

The vet phoned and said Chappie has improved since the IV fluids. He had an appetite, ate a lot and didn’t throw up.

She did say, though, that he has bad kidney disease :( . When he came in his creatinine was 9.0 but since fluids he is at 7.5, and they want to see if one more night in the facility with an IV can get that number even better.

I guess I should be happy he’s responding well, but not so happy that the numbers aren’t good. I was praying for at least many years with him.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And you may yet have them. Don't just assume that he is at death's door just yet. Cats fool us ALL THE TIME! There is one cat here who, we thought, would not see Spring TWO YEARS AGO, but he is here, and living a happy life outside occasional flare-ups of his own issues. "Bad kidney disease" is NOT a good thing, but MAY only mean longer to get under control. We shall all send many, many vibes that this is the case here!

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update after Chappie’s second night in ER for IV fluids....

The weekend vet said Chappie is doing good. He was brutally honest with me, though.

When Chappie was brought in his creatinine was. 9.0.
After one night in came down to an 8.
Now the vet tells me it’s only at a 7.
The vet said I think “it will likely plateau at that. His kidneys aren’t functioning properly.”

I said, let’s give him one more overnight of IV fluids and I will bring him home Sunday.

The vet said “the prognosis is not good. You will take him home and do the treatments and in 3 weeks you will be back where you started, throwing up due to acid, etc.

Really saddened.
:(

I will post the test results when he emails them to me.
Dale

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry that the news wasn't better. I shall continue to keep that candle lit, and remember, no matter what, you are NOT alone. We are with you.

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the admittance lab results.....

Attachments