Cat experts: help me to figure out my sweet tabby!

shrill2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My tabby, Gilbert, was adopted as a wee kitten from the shelter. I imagine he is a mixed/ domestic cat. However, we have always wondered about one thing: how he talks. He makes this sound, which I believe is a trill: not like the chattering and chirping I hear on video clips of cats watching birds but more like a pigeon cooing. This is his preferred sound: he meows very occasionally, but is constantly trilling. I'm wondering if maybe he has something in his heritage that would explain his extremely cute way of talking.

Here are some photos. I also posted a few photos over on the video forum in case it helps to see him moving around.

The other side is more stripey

We were told his is a shorthair but I have wondered whether maybe he is a medium hair. He is a pretty big boy: he was 13 lbs at one year (although the vet thinks it wouldn't hurt him to lose 1/2 lb) and he was consistently several weeks "ahead" in typical size while he was a kitten

So, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shrill.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a beauty you have! And I would love to hear him talk, maybe you can film it haha ;)

As for the fur, he does seem like a short haired cat to me as well. It does seem longer than the regular once you occasionally see,and he has cute fur in his ears, but cats like the Siberian are medium haired, and their fur is a lot longer than your boy's. It's possible he has some longer haired cat somewhere along his lines, which would explain why his hair is a little longer, why he has the thingies at his ears, and why his tail seems fuller.

As for what breed he could resemble I am honestly clueless. Leaving that to others! Give your big boy a hug from me!! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shrill2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His fur is a bit weird. Mostly short and then occasionally with longer hairs, some possibly guard hairs(?) and the rest are just mixed in with shorter hairs which makes him look extra fuzzy. :) I say guard hairs because those ones are much coarser. Never long like I see on the photos of long haired cats though: just a bit longer than his normal fur.

Last edited:

shrill2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to get him to trill for the camera and he was NOT in the mood : he swatted at me! Lol.

I managed to find a video of a cat who sounds pretty much exactly like Gilbert: . Pretty cute, huh?

shrill2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a long time later, but I finally managed to get him talking (which I believe is "trilling"): quite a few times! Note: he's pretty quiet so turn up your speakers!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the extra photos and sounds!    :)

Last edited: