Cat Exhaustion from Excessive Play?

benzodiazepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will start panting with her mouth open and tongue hanging when she gets tired from playing. Is that a sign that I should stop playing with her or is it okay to keep going so that she gets a better workout?

Also my cat becomes lethargic for the rest of the day if I play with her until she starts panting. She doesn't seem to regain her energy until the next day (~10 hours later). Is this normal or am I burning her out?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, do not continue.  Just like with people, she needs a rest and a cool down.  Continuing can threaten her health and overheat her just like a person.  Just stop and let her calm down for a couple of hours at least.  You can break up the vigorous plays into several small bouts throughout the day.  I will play with mine for 5 to 10 minutes and then later the same and then again later the same.  Once they start getting tired, I stop and let them break even if they want to continue.  Panting means "OK, break time."  Respect that.  She's not in drill training!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How old is your cat and how long have you had her?

I have a cat with a deformed chest who becomes very breathless.. the deformity is not as obvious as when he was tiny. It would be worth knowing if that was the case with your girl..  If you notice that her ribs are little 'flat' and maybe go out more at the sides, and/or if there is an indentation at the base of the sternum, that could well be the problem.

Last edited: