Cat Eviscerating Me

stephbileau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what to do. I have a sweet cat - he likes to curl up in my neck and lick me. However, he has hurt me badly twice. He was scared both times. Once he got scared as he was falling off the bed and I went to catch him. He put me in the HOSPITAL. I have scar tissue all over my lips. He reached up and clawed the crap out of my face. I've had cats my entire life and I know they can scratch once in a while, but this was bad. I didn't punish him. He got right back in my lap when I returned from the ER, mangled. I tried to forget about it and cut his nails regularly (which he HATES and doesn't tolerate without me putting him in a tight blanket as I'm cutting).

Today he was snuggled into my neck purring and getting pets and something fell on the floor and he jumped and pushed off my face with his claws - leaving a big gash in my cheek. He didn't mean to hurt me but he's really hurting me and now I'm starting to get scared to have him near me.

I've had cats my entire life. He doesn't scratch furniture because I've trained him well and have good alternatives. I have Felliway plug-ins. I'm starting to wonder - what is the alternative to amputating nails or euthanasia or giving the cat away when you're afraid you might get your eye scratched out. Zoloft?

I don't know what to do!

Steph

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you got hurt, that stinks! However, I do have to be honest with you for your own good and that of the cat, and the truth is that you didn't follow basic safety -- this really isn't the cat's fault. As far as catching a cat that is scared, sounds like with time to think you realize that wasn't a safe thing to do -- any cat could scratch in that situation. Just kind of a freak injury there - stinks, but not anyone's fault. As far as cuddling in the crook of your neck, its not safe to have a normal but even slightly jumpy cat resting in a position where, if startled, they will spring off any of your delicate bits. You can have your cat on your lap (if your a man, only if your wearing something like jeans), on your tummy, in the crook of your arm, and a bunch of other spots but in the crook of your neck is a bridge too far. My older cat is lovely and gentle, loves to go on my chest when I lie down. If startled, she will push off with nails, because that is what cats do. I'm willing to risk a scratch on my chest, but I keep her low enough that she wont be spring off my neck or head.

If you are determined to continue to allow your cat to rest near your fragile parts, you can consider nail caps, which work decently-ish are not that much more of a PITA than cutting a cats nails. However, nail caps would not provide 100% protection if a cat sprang off you unawares and your blink reflex was slow. Its really just best not to let a cat chill by your head. Its one thing to head butt or kiss your cat -- your paying attention, you know where the cat's paws are -- and another to just let the cat get comfy by your head, with the paws in position where they would naturally push off you.

You also need to think about body positioning, and where your cat would flee too. For instance, as I mentioned, I allow my girl on my chest. However, I wouldn't lie with her on my chest and my head towards the door, because then if the other cat snuck close, my girl might conceivably want to use my head as a spring board to escape.

Its possibly that some people with very well adjusted and calm cats can get away without following the above safety tips, but with a cat that is even somewhat jumpy, the responsibility to be safe is yours. My girl is relatively well adjusted, but she doesn't like her younger brother much and it makes her skittish enough that I'd surely get hurt if I let her lounge by my head. Normal.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with A ArtNJ - Sounds like you are very good at training your cat not to scratch furniture, and it's wonderful that you recognize his actions as accidental. Sounds like you understand cat behavior pretty well.

I think it might be best to try and train him away from face snuggles. I know it's heartbreaking to stop such a joyful bonding experience (my tortie loves face snuggles, but she tends not to be jumpy). But obviously you can't continue being mauled, and you might have to view him as more of a wild animal. No one would face snuggle a tiger. Obviously the falling off the bed part could have happened to anyone, but him nuzzling in your neck might be too dangerous.

if your a man, only if your wearing something like jeans
Very yes! There was an unfortunate instance with a male of the household, a cuddly cat who seems to have disproportionally sharp claws, and some sweatpants. Let's say he learned his lesson. :alright:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the instances seem to be accidents, brought on by fear, and being startled. He is an animal, and the fight or flight response is programmed in as a way of survival. It is for many people too. I have a large male that you do not want to touch when he is sound asleep, if he is startled away that way he will come out biting, and he is the most gentle cat i have ever had.

I also do not recommend snuggling with a cat next to my face, i think thats just asking for an injury. I cuddle with my cats, and sleep with my cats, but not at my face. And i am aware that there will occasionally be accidents that cause a bit of blood on my part. They are lovely little creatures with sharp teeth and claws, we can get hurt even though they had no intentions of hurting us.

I would never condone declawing as an option, that is a cruel practice in my opinion. That is intentional harm. And putting a cat down just because he got scared and tried to hang on or run, really sounds like a horrible solution, to me. If these are your only options then i would vote to rehome the cat. That would be the kind thing to do for the little guy.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you got hurt, that stinks! However, I do have to be honest with you for your own good and that of the cat, and the truth is that you didn't follow basic safety -- this really isn't the cat's fault. As far as catching a cat that is scared, sounds like with time to think you realize that wasn't a safe thing to do -- any cat could scratch in that situation. Just kind of a freak injury there - stinks, but not anyone's fault. As far as cuddling in the crook of your neck, its not safe to have a normal but even slightly jumpy cat resting in a position where, if startled, they will spring off any of your delicate bits. You can have your cat on your lap (if your a man, only if your wearing something like jeans), on your tummy, in the crook of your arm, and a bunch of other spots but in the crook of your neck is a bridge too far. My older cat is lovely and gentle, loves to go on my chest when I lie down. If startled, she will push off with nails, because that is what cats do. I'm willing to risk a scratch on my chest, but I keep her low enough that she wont be spring off my neck or head.

If you are determined to continue to allow your cat to rest near your fragile parts, you can consider nail caps, which work decently-ish are not that much more of a PITA than cutting a cats nails. However, nail caps would not provide 100% protection if a cat sprang off you unawares and your blink reflex was slow. Its really just best not to let a cat chill by your head. Its one thing to head butt or kiss your cat -- your paying attention, you know where the cat's paws are -- and another to just let the cat get comfy by your head, with the paws in position where they would naturally push off you.

You also need to think about body positioning, and where your cat would flee too. For instance, as I mentioned, I allow my girl on my chest. However, I wouldn't lie with her on my chest and my head towards the door, because then if the other cat snuck close, my girl might conceivably want to use my head as a spring board to escape.

Its possibly that some people with very well adjusted and calm cats can get away without following the above safety tips, but with a cat that is even somewhat jumpy, the responsibility to be safe is yours. My girl is relatively well adjusted, but she doesn't like her younger brother much and it makes her skittish enough that I'd surely get hurt if I let her lounge by my head. Normal.
ALL of this!!!
And even though I know grabbing at a cat that's falling off something or panicking is a bad choice (claws!), I've done it and probably will do it again because it's instinctual.
I had a cat in my lap one night (I was wearing shorts) and fireworks started up nearby. The cat freaked and send my legs into ribbons even though I didn't try to grab him. Ouch!
My preferred holding routine for cats is in my lap while wearing jeans.
I'm sorry you have dealt with these injuries =(
I don't snuggle with my cats near my face, because they do weird things like stick their noses in my ear and "SNIFF SNIFF SNIFF" when I'm 3/4 asleep or start licking my eyelids =)
We had a dog get a collar caught on a crate door while going in. Their tags caught on the crate door, and the dog immediately realized he was caught and started panicking. Several people got bitten because the dog thought "I'm caught, something has got me" and reacted. It was hell trying to work inches from a dogs thrashing panicked mouth with teeth and jaws snapping at anything that moved in order to free him, but we did. (We also stopped letting our dogs wear collars inside.)
A few months ago I was carrying our biggest chicken-cat (he's scared of his own shadow) into another part of the house, because construction people were due to arrive. I did this VERY early in the morning to avoid any people or commotion upsetting him, and damned if the phone didn't ring when we were halfway to his new spot. He panicked, dove out of my arms and took a big chunk of skin with him.
Give yourself and your kitty a break =) He sounds like a good cat and you sound like a good owner. Freak accidents happen.