cat ethics: whether or not to relocate a fixed feral

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to know.

Might want to provide a bigger box.

Sometimes cats, especially males will pee on the edge causing some of it to not make it into the box.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...he was peeing all right, just not everything made it into the box :doh3:
now that the room smells to his liking:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2  he makes decent pee sizes into his box, and I'll have another go with the odormute.
I use and completely trust this product to remove cat urine: Stinkfree. Seriously, the stuff is magic. Also a very helpful article on how to rid that room of urine when the time comes and you are able to clean!! http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine

Sometimes cats, especially males will pee on the edge causing some of it to not make it into the box.
Yup! In fact, some kitties start in the squatting position and then stand up a little bit. My Presley does this and I have "urine backsplash guards" draped over the back of all of my litter boxes to catch his urine.

Sometimes, a HUGE hooded box is good for feral cats in the beginning too. I mean HUGE too. I use a rolled up paper towel and tuck it under the hood as I place it on the box to catch any urine for the day. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
update on Geronimo:

last Sunday, the bug screen on his window had magically disappeared and he managed to escape his prison into the back yard where all the shelters are. During the day, he made it into the front yard, where he was captured on camera (notice my drought-resistant plants
He has appeared for dinner at the feeding spot late every night after all the others had eaten, but this morning, I finally spotted him using the shelter I put his towel in!!!
As the shelter is right next to the feeding spot, he was right there for breakfast for the first time (which, during the week, is at an inhumanely early hour but the cats don't mind).

The others, being a kindly bunch, are ignoring him so far.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great picture. It took me a while to spot him in among all those plants.

Glad to hear he's adjusted to his new home so well.