Cat enema

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. Says that Mirilax is not for obstruction and with eight inches of fecal matter not moving, that's what we have. Will definitely keep this remedy in mind once we get through this enema-igmatic stage.

Wish we'd had an early morning appointment. Albeit necessary at this time, an enema at 4.30 in the afternoon is not the best time.

She's a grand ole duchess.

Thanks again.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well along with this site that I have enjoyed reading, I join the Megacolon website. A lot of those people swear by Miralax - which softens forming stools. Cisparide  from vet prescription for motility issues, I  think it stimulates the actual colon. Then we have people adding coconut oil, olive oil to cat's food. Slippery Elm (buy powder/capsules and reconstitute with water)  Sub Q  - I just go to the vets every few weeks when he looks a little dehydrated. I tried the enema syringe, but got no where, and was just easier to zip over to the vets, although I  don't like dragging poor old 18 year old Lloyd as much as he hates going - last time he was panting so hard and the vet then thought he might be having heart issues - I  thought maybe a more like a heart attack ! Said he detected a murrmmer - never did before ! Believe me we have been in quite a few times the recent past months - I just say wer'e here to pay the rent!  He had a "dig out," fecal from Xray showed up like huge segmented Tootsie roll. I  don't know if it could possibly be attributed to a not so pristine litter box - although I  have about 5-6 throughout the house, and Lloyd is pretty good about visiting 2 of those, so I  don.t know. I  only feed Trader Joe's Turkey Giblet canned, not the Chicken with Rice, NO DRY,  and lots of water bowls around the house. Check out the Megacolon web site.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will check out the megacolon site. Thank you. Again, vet not sure what the issue is: old age/megacolon/possible tumour near liver pressing on intestine. This procedure is an attempt to see if the constipation is a separate issue. The main goal is to keep her comfortable and to have more good days than bad. I'm used to giving needles because our 13-year-old cat has been diabetic for the last year. Sub Q is relatively easy for me. The hardest part is keeping the cat still + getting the needle through her thick skin. Got some slightly smaller gauge needles at the vet yesterday. The drip is slower, but the needle is easier to get in.

Enema still doing its thing, although it's starting to slow down. Lots of bits, but don't think that it was a complete emptying. Still doing laundry and trying to keep her bum as clean as possible. Will be doing some clipping and some serious bathing today. Gave fluids and meds this morning. Giving her a bit of space and getting the house nice and warm before I tackle the rear end. That will also help her to feel better about the event. Cat and owner are exhausted.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK.....so then, Anne's reference was for this specialized online support group: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=2

That group's well-known as a reputable and useful resource and, after thirteen years and over 2,000 members, there's a wealth of ollective information to be had there.

cocheezie, I suspect that, by now, you've discovered that RestoraLAX is the Canadian trade name for MiraLAX. Here's some reliable information on its use in cats: http://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm#miralax
 Sub Q is relatively easy for me. The hardest part is keeping the cat still + getting the needle through her thick skin. Got some slightly smaller gauge needles at the vet yesterday. The drip is slower, but the needle is easier to get in.
The same site I just referenced also has some great information and tips for giving fluids - including the recommendation for the best needle - here you are: http://www.felinecrf.org/subcutaneous_fluids_tips.htm   The needle info is about 1/3 down the page "All about Needles" but the entire section is replete with many practical suggestions.

I think you'd be well advised to ditch the dry food altogether - a diet of grain-free high protein medium fat quality wet foods would be the way to go.  You may find that she will still need the RestoraLAX with that diet - one of mine requires it after a lifetime of dehydrating dry foods.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great article on giving Sub Q! Thanks. The article gave me the information I needed to request better needles from the vet. And great tips for giving the fluid.

The vet felt around today and said that the enema cleaned out the blockage. She's just starting to eat again. It took some time to recover from the enema experience. Offering moist food with water added.

The vet suggested she stay on the cisapride and lactulose and we should call him on Monday with an update. She's lost so much weight, the vet said try anything, but keeping to the moist cat food with a bit of pumpkin and extra water added.

Plan to try the Restoralax. Thanks again.

kaytebrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did you use for the enema? I think my ct is going to need one.

Thanks.