cat enclosures?

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many great ideas coming out, i knew there would be. Something to keep in mind, and I dont mind building it. My biggest concern is Shadoe's safety. Always has been, and always will be.

I already had a few ideas come to mind when I began thinking about it, but the photos offer more idea to think about. Keep the ideas coming please.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've just finished mine!  It's a bought net structure with added tunnel and a cat-flap in the wall.  I'll post pics asap.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you end up using the cat netting? I am in australia too and I'm about to enclose my verandah with it. I'm wondering how long it lasts?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you end up using the cat netting? I am in australia too and I'm about to enclose my verandah with it. I'm wondering how long it lasts?
Yes, I bought a ready-made from http://www.catnets.com.au/

The netting is the same as for the do-it-yourself ones.  The enclosure took quite a while to put together, but I'm really pleased with it.

I think the netting is very very strong.  I believe it's used for koala enclosures, so it has to be.

Where in Aus are you?

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. Thats exactly where I'm going to buy my netting from. Just need the weather to clear up. I'm in cold south west victoria!!  I also want to add that I'm saving to buy a russian as a companion for our moggie Ruben. Your cat is divine.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks so much. Thats exactly where I'm going to buy my netting from. Just need the weather to clear up. I'm in cold south west victoria!!  I also want to add that I'm saving to buy a russian as a companion for our moggie Ruben. Your cat is divine.
I hear you've been having some pretty awful weather down there!

I have two Russians.. my boy was a rescue.. he has a deformed chest, but he's doing really well, against all odds!  I teach yoga in my home, and the cats have free range (except, of course, during classes). I've found students are far less allergic to RBs and that's pretty essential.

Ruben is lovely

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you've been having some pretty awful weather down there!

I have two Russians.. my boy was a rescue.. he has a deformed chest, but he's doing really well, against all odds!  I teach yoga in my home, and the cats have free range (except, of course, during classes). I've found students are far less allergic to RBs and that's pretty essential.

Ruben is lovely
I'm not sure of the protocol around here? or where to put this post as I am still a newbie. I am just bursting with excitment and need to tell someone tho. I have just gone on a waiting list for a Russian kitten. Yay!! Its kind of like waiting for a first born child!!

By the way I forgot to mention your enclosure looks great. I hope ours works well. Going to need lots of kitty running space.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering how long it lasts?
Can't give you an exact time other than I know people who've had it for "years and years" and it's good as new. 
I have just gone on a waiting list for a Russian kitten. Yay!! Its kind of like waiting for a first born child!!
How exciting for you, good luck with the waiting

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure of the protocol around here? or where to put this post as I am still a newbie. I am just bursting with excitment and need to tell someone tho. I have just gone on a waiting list for a Russian kitten. Yay!! Its kind of like waiting for a first born child!!

By the way I forgot to mention your enclosure looks great. I hope ours works well. Going to need lots of kitty running space.
Tammat, we just love photos... when your kitten arrives please post some!

It's best to start a new thread in The Lounge, under the photos section.

Are you getting a boy or a girl?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammat, we just love photos... when your kitten arrives please post some!

It's best to start a new thread in The Lounge, under the photos section.

Are you getting a boy or a girl?
Thanks for the tip. I worked out how to put pics up yesterday so I will definatley do that. I am getting a girl.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, it actually seems to depend on the color. We've used netting from a couple of different manufacturers for windows, French doors and balconies. The "transparent" netting isn't very durable. White seems to last about 5 or 6 years, olive green or black around 10. Olive green is the least conspicuous from afar. Netting on the side of the house with the most exposure to sun logically weathers more quickly.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
they still can get fleas and parasites outdoors in enclosers. naturally they all want to go outside but everything we want isn't good for us. men want to go out too~ good for them? hmmm :-)
We just had a huge debate on this in another thread... very lively!

However, back on topic... I think the durability is extremely good with the stuff I'm using (I certainly hope so), since it's used in koala parks, but I notice they don't give an actual time frame.  They say their netting is:
  • UV stabilised for continued outdoor usage
  • Pre-Stretched to avoid sagging and stretching over time
  • Made with Heat-Strengthened knots to avoid knot slipping

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they still can get fleas and parasites outdoors in enclosers. naturally they all want to go outside but everything we want isn't good for us. men want to go out too~ good for them? hmmm :-)
Nothing wrong with cats being allowed outside safely. Fleas depends on the area you live in, never been a problem for my cats in their enclosures. 
However, back on topic... I think the durability is extremely good with the stuff I'm using (I certainly hope so), since it's used in koala parks
A lot of owners and breeders use that company, they have excellent reviews. It's a long lasting, high grade netting. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your great advice. I am ordering the netting next week. Joining TCS is the best thing Ive done. Looking forward to arguing with my husband whist we put it up!!! Ha! Ha!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
[Nothing wrong with cats being allowed outside safely. Fleas depends on the area you live in, never been a problem for my cats in their enclosures. 
:yeah: We've never had a problem with fleas, despite having had dogs, indoor/outdoor cats and taking Jamie outside on a leash.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its been a long time coming but I finally have a picture of our finished enclosure. Ruben loves it. He used to wait by the door to try and bolt outside but he's content to be an indoors cat now.It's such a great area for the humans too. We use it all the time now. Before the netting our next door neighbours cat used to spray all over the walls. We never bothered to furnish it. The netting was a great product to work with. I highly recommend it to anyone.