Cat enclosures - do they work?

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

I have three indoor cats and we recently got an 8-month-old beagle. When we had dogs before (our 17 year old and 14 year old passed away in 2013) we had a dog door. The cats roamed freely as they had my whole life (we always had a dog door when I was growing up). But I didn't like it then due to live and dead critters being brought in and deposited or set free. And worse yet, we lost one of our babies to the road. First time it had happened but it devastated me and I realized no, they won't always come back. 

SO we do want to get a dog door for the new dog. But we don't want the cats to leave the yard. Has anyone had any experience with the cat enclosures where they go up and angle over the fence? There are multiple kits available and I do have friends who years ago who made one with wooden dowels and mesh netting. It worked for them, but I am curious as to other cat owner's experiences. We have our yard partially fenced in with wooden privacy fencing on two sides and metal fencing across the back with a gate. The websites say the cats can't get over the barriers. Or they look and see it and don't try. Two of our cats have claws and when they do get out (they are sneaky and relentless)  they go up and over the wooden fence. The third is declawed (showed up that way as a stray, I would never!) and is fairly lazy. 

Do they work? Any recommendations on what kind to get? 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find that a lot of our members have cat enclosures/"catios" and have never regretted building them. Our local shelter has a large feral enclosure with 3-meter-high fencing, the top angled in and electrified. A very few extremely determined feral cats have managed to escape over the years, but the vast majority have never even tried.

View media item 417731View media item 417732

[article="29670"][/article]

[article="29643"][/article]

[thread="238246"][/thread]

[thread="158321"][/thread]