Cat Emergency: Attacked my neighbor's Dog

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My bf is against 7 cats but he deals with it. He does fuss from time to time but he knows that i'm not going to throw them out. I have been trying to get rid of the 4 kittens I rescued and they have been here almost a year.

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by j_eden

If she could get along with our other cats... oh god, that would be the BEST outcome ever, because I know my bf is strongly against 3 cats, but that could sway his mind. Or we could at least go back to fostering her, but we'll have to see how her temperament is after the surgery, and what she seems to want (inside life or outside life)

A little nervous though... will she be okay that night she spends at the vet? We have to bring her in very early in the morning and wait until the next day to pick her up. I hope it doesn't traumatize her.
You'll just have to see what her personality is like once she's inside for a little while. I'd say at LEAST a week inside after her spay, but your vet will know MUCH better than I do.

She will be better off at the vet that night than at your house. Someone will be with her 24 hours, and she will be there, where they can take care of her if something goes wrong. She will probably be a little upset at first, but she will be so happy to be home!

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just saying that even spayed she still might go after the dog and/or leave your yard. I have 5 or 6 outside(haven't seen Blue in a week since I returned after 10 days away, neither has Paul or Mitzi.) The females(including Attitude my indoor girl) are all fixed, just got Half-tail done on Weds. All I had to do was leave Half-tail in her carrier overnight, it was outside until it cold out then she went in the bathroom in her carrier with the light out by herself, after letting everyone smell each other through the carrier, Half-tail is their sister since she seems stressed in her carrier in the kitchen. She doesn't understand the purpose of a litter box or I would have just put her in the bathroom without the carrier. I always leave them outside in the carrier after their spay so they are still with their 'family' and then release them the next morning to continue their regularly scheduled outdoor life. Most low cost spay/ neuter services have special instructions for feral, doorstep or outside cats since they are used to fixing them. They didn't know Half-tail lived outside until I told them and that was when I picked her up after the spay. They had instructions for feral and doorstep kitties which was what I said keep contained overnight then release the next morning. my 2 outdoor males and Nuts my indoor boy aren't fixed yet. I'm saving up to get Nuts done but it seems like every time I get close either Attitude needs to go to the vet or one of the outdoor ones needs a vet(Mama's rectal prolapse and now Goldie Jr and his leg, whatever is wrong with it didn't grab him today will have to do it tomorrow.)

Anyway none of them stay here during the day, the males or the females, they all go off to do whatever it is that they do during the day, thus why I can't just go outside to get Goldie Jr. As far as I know other than a big orange female who is lost(hope her owner spayed her and got her vaccinated against feline leukemia or he's going to have 1 or 2 big problems) I have the only girls in the neighborhood, but I know of 2 other cats in the neighborhood(all 3 come here to eat occasionally my group doesn't care), but they are too afraid to even let me look at them much less see what they are, I hope they're males.

If she is going after dogs she has to have an inside home or she is going to pick on the wrong dog and end up as a snack. My Old English Sheepdog Abby would have killed and most likely ate any cat that even came in the yard much less tried to attack her, she greeted me at the backdoor with a full grown dead rabbit at 4 months old and I know she or another dog in the neighborhood paralyzed a cat that came in our yard twice, the cat was seen dragging it's back half around not long after it's second encounter with Abby.

I will say Half-tail is still very wary of me(of course the carrier and kennel are still outside, I haven't cleaned the kennel and I have the carrier out for when I snag Goldie Jr.) However she really has never warmed up to people anyways, but the other 3(I think one ended up as coyote chow, she just disappeared) were all still loving and wanted to be with us, but outside, they do not like inside. Mama even still loves me and wants me to pet her despite the fact that I had to catch her and take her to the vet for a rectal prolapse(this was after she had already been spayed so she had been caught and kenneled twice), and them having to stick her intestines back in the way they came out and spending a week in the hospital definitely did not make me her favorite person. On top of that she had to stay inside for a week(so I could make sure and slowly get her on dry food and make sure she didn't prolapse again.) She was supposed to stay 2 weeks but she let herself out after a week and since she was already back on all dry I decided there was no point forcing her to stay inside. She wasn't fond of our cats and they weren't too fond of her(well Maude especially, Attitude and Nuts are her grand kids so other than her having to correct Nuts a few times they were fine and her and Maude just pretended the other didn't exist.) Now if she had been inside and decided she liked it there I would have kept her inside or if she had an issue with attacking larger and more dangerous animals, she did chase off a small(like less than a year old) raccoon that ran but she ignores the big raccoons and the big raccoons ignore her, if not she'd be living inside with me or at another home even if she hated it and my cats hated her.

She needs an inside life if she can't leave the dog alone, either your neighbor's dog is going to snap or she's going to pick on the wrong dog and end up just dead or dead and a snack for a dog. The cats will adjust just take it slow if you can't find anyone to take her in, there is no other choice.

Taryn

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few of my cats will go after a dog no matter what and they are altered.
My sisters cat is missing and looks like he will never be found.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat if spaying her will calm her down. After neutering my male he actually has come out of his shell more and become more playful although he still has his moments of 'attacking' our other male cat. After we got our female spayed she is still the rambunctious jungle cat she has been since day one. ALL 3 of my cats were adopted from being outside only cats and they all do great indoors. We have occasional moments where one will try and sneak onto the front porch but noone actually goes outside. They all LOVE to look out the window and like it was said by someone else, its like their giant tv and they are glued to the screen 24/7.
My bf also was against 3 cats geez he was even against having one. The biggest complaint I hear from him is there is too much fur everywhere but oh well he gets over it after a moment of whining. Spaying Nala is the best thing for her and could very well curb her wanting to go outside and can very well lead to happy coexistance between all three cats!!! I hope it all works out for you guys and she ends up inside with you!!

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blue showed up(and of course Mama's being a grouch and hissed at him, he just looked at like she was crazy and went about getting petted by me) again so now I have 4 males to neuter.

OK, after her spay see if she wants to stay inside or go out, she very well might want to stay inside. Also, honestly unless his family are paying the bills they have no say in this matter.

If you don't find her an indoor place for her to stay she will end up getting killed by a dog, most don't take kindly to cats simply being in their territory much less trying to attack them.

The last time Attitude door dashed she went outside smelled the outside cats' cat chow and ran right back to the door because she wanted back in. Nuts won't go outside, if he wants to greet one of the outside cats they have to go to the threshold of the door and so does he because he won't go outside. The outside ones stay outside because they want nothing to do with inside, even though Blue decided to let himself in when him and Nuts were greeting each other(of course I know at some point he was somebodies house pet as he knows what a litter box is and it's proper use.)

Seriously I don't care how badly she wants out, or your boyfriend doesn't want her inside she is a danger to herself and has to have an inside living arrangement either with you or someone else. I agree if he is this disagreeable to a cat what is he going to do if you wind up with an "oppps" baby(trust me, I have one, birth control isn't 100%) or a child with special needs. Both are a lot more challenging than cats.

Taryn

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, take one of your tee-shirts that you've worked or slept in and leave it with your cat at the vet...she may want to cuddle into it post-recovery since it'll smell like home and safety to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

j_eden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone...

I just got back from the vet and have some updates. The vet called us during the day, which we knew wasn't a good sign.
The vet told us when they opened her up for the procedure, they found out she had pancreatic cancer. The cancer had gotten very out of hand, and had spread everywhere. The vet advised us bringing her out of sedation would be very painful for her, and with recovery of surgery along with this condition, the quality of her life would not be very good.
Quietly, and hopefully painlessly we said goodbye. We all thought it would be best, and stayed with her until her very last breath and then some.

I'm really good we kept her inside that whole time, and gave her such a great life. It feels like a blessing to have another life choose us to be her family, I feel thankful to have met her.

Thanks again everyone for your advice everyone.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone...

I just got back from the vet and have some updates. The vet called us during the day, which we knew wasn't a good sign.
The vet told us when they opened her up for the procedure, they found out she had pancreatic cancer. The cancer had gotten very out of hand, and had spread everywhere. The vet advised us bringing her out of sedation would be very painful for her, and with recovery of surgery along with this condition, the quality of her life would not be very good.
Quietly, and hopefully painlessly we said goodbye. We all thought it would be best, and stayed with her until her very last breath and then some.

I'm really good we kept her inside that whole time, and gave her such a great life. It feels like a blessing to have another life choose us to be her family, I feel thankful to have met her.

Oh hun, I am so sorry, maybe her behaviour was down to her frustration of her illness? Maybe she was in pain? Thats just terrible, thankyou for being so loving and being there for her.xx

j_eden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very much.

Yes, I am very glad we spent these last several months with her...
It does seem to explain a lot of her behavior, but more so I'm shocked at how through all that she still always seemed like a happy go lucky cat when she was around us.

Always running up to us, with her little tail in the air
Never have I met a cat who literally slept beside us the whole night, not leaving even when we move around the blanket, or shake the bed, truly an angel

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone...

I am SO sorry for your loss. You did the right thing by going in to say goodbye.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry - but she found a family who could offer her love and warmth for those last days - bless you for trying so hard.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try to say this as nicely as I can... I am sorry, but I am having a hard time believing this story.... And I have reasons to do so... as IMO it is simply not possible, and here is why:

You posted the decision to spay her at 7:55pm central/8:55pm your time last night. Besides that, opened a thread just last night to research about trapping and how to take care of her after the surgery... You were just starting the research.
To prepare for the surgery, she would have to go fasting for 12 hours on the night prior to the surgery, which makes this whole thing suspicious to me, since you decided 9pm last night.
How did you make an appointment for her today for the same day, and what vet would put her through general anesthesia without fasting?

So... This is why I am having a very hard time with this... Forgive me if I am wrong... But things are just not adding up here. IMO the dog got tired of Nala, or something else happened... but not this.

I am very sorry that Nala lost her life however she did... RIP Nala

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I will try to say this as nicely as I can... I am sorry, but I am having a hard time believing this story.... And I have reasons to do so... as IMO it is simply not possible, and here is why:

You posted the decision to spay her at 7:55pm central/8:55pm your time last night. Besides that, opened a thread just last night to research about trapping and how to take care of her after the surgery... You were just starting the research.
To prepare for the surgery, she would have to go fasting for 12 hours on the night prior to the surgery, which makes this whole thing suspicious to me, since you decided 9pm last night.
How did you make an appointment for her today for the same day, and what vet would put her through general anesthesia without fasting?

So... This is why I am having a very hard time with this... Forgive me if I am wrong... But things are just not adding up here. IMO the dog got tired of Nala, or something else happened... but not this.

I am very sorry that Nala lost her life however she did... RIP Nala
I don't mean to "gang up" but I'm afraid I agree with Carolina, that something doesn't sound right.

I, too am sorry Nala is gone, and I know she had a good winter with you, before you put her back outside. If you chose to have her euthanized, or took her to a shelter, that was your choice. I hope it wasn't the dog.

j_eden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll clarify some details, and I know you both meant no harm by this but I find that found that response very insensitive.

We decided to get Nala spayed on Wednesday after talking it over with the neighbor (who also a previous cat owner advised us it would be the best idea), this is when I called around to find a clinic where we could afford to spay her. Most clinics were charging $300-$400, which I did not have the cash for right now. I finally found a place, and made her an appointment for Friday 04/09, and we had to drop her off at 9am this morning. The vets told us we could call after 5pm to see how everything went, and that's when I got the call.

I posted on here later on later on after making the appointment, and the replies helped me feel confident in the decision. I was researching baiting, because as stated in some of my previous replies, she would no longer voluntarily stay indoors, and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do better. We did stop feeding her before 12 am last night.

At around 5pm today I got the call from the vet, she told us she was hoping that the lump she felt in Nala's stomach might have meant she had gotten pregnant, or a mummified kitten. Our vet advised us that with the cancer as spread throughout her organs as it was (and she kept mentioning the fluids were already leaking?), bringing her out of sedation to continue on would leave her with a poor quality of life.
She was still sedated when we went to say goodbye, and let me tell you I am overwhelmed with the guilt that the last thing she consciously saw were a bunch of strangers. And that the last feeling she had was fear and anxiety.

I am still in shock from all this, so this is a very sensitive subject to me, but why would I lie about something like this? Never in a million years would I have seen this coming, and there is simply no imaginable reason why I would make something this horrible up