Cat eating more than usual but not sleeping.

smackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to an emergency appointment at 2 am today as I was worried he had some kind of urinary blockage (he didn't). Hes extremely wriggly so in order for them to be able to do the blood test and get a urine sample they had to give him some injection which I believe was some kind of either anti anxiety thing or a mild sedation. This ofc made him quite groggy and wobbly.

He turned out to have fairly low potassium levels (due to ongoing diarrhea) but the vet said he was fine to go home.

He had been acting fine but hasnt slept for some reason? he doesnt seem to be in any pain but he regardless hasnt slept since 2 am. Hes closed his eyes a few times while in a pose hed generally sleep in but he keeps them ever so slightly open.

Is this normal or concerning? hes eating normally if not more than he generally does, and he peed just fine (still has diarrhea but we are treating that with probiotics)

Should I be concerned about the lack of sleep? its been 18 hours since hes last slept.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just wanted to add is it possible that the stress of going to the vet and having tests done is what is throwing him off.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I would suggest finding out what the injection was they gave him at the ER. Then call your vet to tell them about the shot, ask their opinion about the lack of sleep and let them know about the low potassium levels. How long has he had ongoing diarrhea? That would concern me. Did the vet tell you to treat with probiotics or was that your decision? Certainly stress can play a part in throwing a cat off his routine but he should return to normal within a day or so after being home in familiar surroundings. I think the other health problems are what's bothering him more. Best of luck and please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

smackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi!! thank you so much for replying, they were the ones that told me about the low potassium and gave me supplements to help him with that and a follow up blood test in a week. I called them but they said to not be too concerned as long as hes eating and peeing fine! i just found it really odd because it's not like him to not sleep (or like any cat for that matter).

The diarrhea is something that i've been trying to help him with for the last two months i've been to the vet several times for it but the stool samples just showed that it wasn't parasites causing the diarrhea but more likely a food intolerance or ibd. Issue is he's become a very picky eater so changing his food is difficult as he tends to just reject it or go off of it after a day. Its been ongoing even with fortiflora

smackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention this but yes it was the vet that gave me the probiotics (ones other than fortiflora as they said its not as effective)

smackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things now? Has he been able to relax enough to get to sleep?

They're correct about the fortiflora :)

Would there be something here that might help with his being picky, on the two articles and the many posts by members
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
He has! and thankfully his stools also seem much better so im assuming the pottasium wont be an issue anymore.

and thanks for the link :) ive checked it out and theres a few things i havent tried yet so lets hope it works.

hes still not sleeping in his regular spots but overall is doing much better.