Cat eating, and then walking away to sit, and then coming back to finish?

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly like the title, he meows happily for dinner, and is excited for food, starts eating maybe a 3rd of it, and then walks away to his favourite sitting spot to lick and clean his fur a bit, and then will walk back and eat again, taking another few bites, and then the cycle repeats until he finishes all his food (and then is in the mood to play as routine- he loves to play right after dinner). Could there be any explanation for this? He doesn’t do this all the times, maybe 3-4 times a week

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as his appetite is good and he eventually finishes the food, just chalk it up to being a quirky cat behavior :) Some cats just eat a few mouthfuls, walk away for awhile, come back to eat a little more, walk away, repeat until tummy is satisfied.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats have small tummys. Could be getting full and wanting a break. My girl only eats 0.1-0.3oz, by weight, of food in a sitting. Takes her 16 feedings to eat her food daily, with at least a half hour between feedins. I've learned the amount she eats varies based on hunger, amount of water recently drank, how recent she pooped, and how recently she went pee.

Last edited:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan sometimes does that. She'll eat half her food, walk away and wash her face, stretch, and then go back to it. Just being a cat.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not worry.. many cats do this. It could mean a few things. Your baby is comfortable and does not feel threatened, so he can graze in peace! or he just wants to graze... No big deal...

If there is a decrease in the amount of food being eaten, then, that would be an issue.. otherwise, just let it go.....

Good Luck... ((Hugs)). relax... and enjoy!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior was always free fed at the shelter. She eats wet food now, but around 7am eats a small bit, drinks water, grooms, repeat .
In the evening I change the food and she does the same. I leave the small remainder out along with some kibble and water for the night.
She does eat a small bit of that as well. In other words..she eats when she is hungry!
All totaled it is two 2.5 oz cans plus treats during the day.
Also I notice those Temptations and Greenies must have a lot of salt because she drinks so much after crunching down on a few.
We go to the vet this afternoon and I am eager to see if she gained from her original 10lb.