Cat Drooling

britton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My indoor cat Kaya was recently given a toy that had catnip in it. She doesn't have many toys, if any, that have a lot of catnip in it, but she played with this new particular toy for a while. 

After playtime, she started to drip from her mouth. I thought nothing of it since some cats drool after catnip, but it has been going on now for more than 24 hours. She has been eating and drinking normally. Probably a bit less playful though. 

I went to the vet and she said it was possible that she had a bad reaction to the catnip because she wasn't exposed to it often in her life. She said there was nothing in her throat or under her tongue. She gave her a shot that would try to dry up her mouth to prevent it. She said it should stop over time. 

Does any one have any ideas or tips on what to do next? What else could cause a cat to salivate this much? 

Thank you in advance. 

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the fabric on the toy was treated with something. Cats can become very sensitive to things. I watched a show on television where this cat had suddenly gotten very sick. The owner finally realized that the new carpet she had installed on the back porch had caused an almost fatal reaction in the cat from the chemicals that are in the carpet.

Last edited: