Cat Drinks Out Of Water Glass

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted this in a reply on another thread, but think it's funny and worthy of its own thread.

I started my cat on an upside-down water cooler. Then, I got her a small rain fountain and later a Catit water fountain. Both she never used. Instead, she prefers to drink from the water glass on the table next to my bed (excuse me, our bed).

The first time I saw her do it, I was alarmed and about to yell, "NO!," (she understands the word No), but she shot me such a dirty look before turning her back on me and proceeding to drink from my glass that I froze and watched in amazement. I realized it's better she drink water than not drink, so I surrendered my water glass to her, but was horrified thinking about just how long we'd been "sharing" the water glass unbeknownst to me. Days, weeks?

Eventually, I got two to go style reusable, insulated drink cups with lids. One to keep my hot coffee hot for hours and a large one to keep my cold water cold for hours. Lidded to keep her out of both although she just likes room temp water, I think.

My cat still drinks from that water glass, so the fountains are put away.

What's hilarious is that she loves to climb on top of me as I lay in bed, reach her front paws to the table while balancing her hind paws on my chest, and lean forward to lap up water from the glass. When she's done, she either jumps down from the table or she launches herself from my chest. Yes, launches! Like I'm a launching pad.

Sometimes, I walk in on her drinking and she pauses to stare at me, so I close the bedroom door and wait outside. I open it a little later (I don't wait too long 'cause I'm impatient), catch her drinking again. We stare. I close the door again and wait outside. Repeat until I open the door and she's not positioned at the water glass anymore. At least, there's no more dirty looks. Lol.

Anyone else's cat funny like this? Hope it's okay I created a thread for this.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol! My roommate’s cat would drink from water glasses, and our cat Gohan loves drinking from them as well. Also from the faucet, water fountain bowl, bathtub drain drips ... :dizzy:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guys love drinking from water glasses. I've taken to drinking from a covered cup or filling cups halfway but for the cats I leave out a low heavy cup (so they can't tip it). I usually have to refill it daily.

IMG_20180611_184942.jpg

My Mom has a glass she fills for her cat to drink out of while she brushes her teeth. Otherwise he turns on the faucet and gets his head soaking wet trying to drink that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was hoping my cat would drink from faucets but she never did. I think she chose my water glass just because I was drinking from it. She used to steal my seat when I'd get up Lol.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man I have a tabby that will meow loudly and flop on the ground to get pets. He does this rarely so I feel compelled to give him the attention when he does.

So I get off the chair to pet him and he hops up and steals it. Little imp.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little white cat will drink your water if you dont watch her..lol she loves to share a glass of ice water, will get all cute and try to beg us to let her have a sip :) But she still loves her water fountain and bowls too. I think she likes the bowls to bathe her toy mice in :rolleyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol. I wish I could film my cat doing what she does when she drinks out of the water glass, compete with her launching off my chest like I'm a springboard.

That video reminds me of my cat once going over to where her food bowl normally used to be and confusedly dipping her head down to try to eat from that empty spot. :flail:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Duck your cat reminds me of mine. Daisy used to put mice in her water bowl. The next thing she did was often taking the mouse back out. Sometimes I would see a wet spot where no water could have spilled. I also would sometimes see wet mice far away from the water bowl. Why do cats like to get their toys wet?

Because they were fabric and too small for the dryer I had to let them air dry next to my bathroom sink. Daisy saw this and made up a game: put mice in the sink. I saw mice in the sink when I went to go potty. This led to her licking the faucet. So I turned it on for her. She does not play with mice anymore but only likes to drink from the faucet when I am around to turn it on.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol i have no idea why they like to dunk those mice. I find wet mice in the water bowl, and all around the house. Out of my 4 i have only ever caught my little white one doing it. Maybe its a white cat thing? lol

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why do cats like to get their toys wet?
Early on, when I had only had Raja and Mizu a few days, I noticed they would drop springs and mice in their water bowl. I did a search and it turns out cats like to keep their favorite belongings "safe" and consider this, their water source a safe place.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Early on, when I had only had Raja and Mizu a few days, I noticed they would drop springs and mice in their water bowl. I did a search and it turns out cats like to keep their favorite belongings "safe" and consider this, their water source a safe place.
But why the water bowl? Cats don't want themselves to get wet, so you would not think they want to get water on their toys either.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dear departed furbaby Holly used to drink out of my water glasses. People thought I was crazy because I had glasses of water randomly placed around the house all the time.

Shadow, shes a faucet drinker. There was a point that no one could go into the bathroom without her following and waiting for the faucet to get turned on. My dad had to cut her out of bathroom trips because she would try to bat at the stream, and I'm not talking about the faucet stream.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mizu tends to read over my shoulder and wanted to show you where the safest place for her beloved springs are....my coffee. Contents removed to show spring.

:wow:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL Good thing your coffee cup was empty or she would burn her little paws.

I used to have cup drinkers. Putting milk back in the refrigerator took just enough time for them to beat me and get the first licks. I had to drink from a travel mug - an insulated cup with a screw top lid - at home.